surroundview enabled=Kernel Panic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surroundview enabled=Kernel Panic

I don't know what exactly Kernel Panic means but when I enable surrondview I get this message

from my kern.log
    [Firmware Warn]: MTRR: CPU 0: SYSCFG[MtrrFixDramModEn] not cleared by BIOS, clearing this bit

the other thing is computer hangs later right before login screen

searching online seems this may be related tohttps://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ta/+bug/305165

Basically this only happens when I enable surrondview in bios and plug in
    a my radeon 3450.

It also happens with 3 different radeon 4xxx cards

I've been reading everyones posts, I wonder if the issues people having with crossfire are related.

Anycures?

Are you installing the driver and running aticonf --initial before changing the system configuration or after ? I think you need to run aticonf --initial after, but not 100% sure.
    Test signature

Comment

using oss

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Are you installing the driver and running aticonf --initial before changing the system configuration or after ? I think you need to run aticonf --initial after, but not 100% sure.
      I am using the ati oss drivers. I haven't check this with the fg drivers yet. But I am pretty sure I would get this there too. the only thing i run X -configure

Note I'm not quite sure when the actual drivers get installed but, this error messages happens like write when you get past grub like immediately after. I suspected the video drivers got loaded a little later.

I only get this error when I enable surrondview in bios, to enable me use the integrated graphics + video card. And this message is in Kern.log file.

Comment

Sorry, your "crossfire" comment threw me off; the open source drivers don't support crossfire.

There's not a lot of work going into the open source drivers for multi-GPU configurations at all right now, at least not until RandR gets extended to handle more than one GPU and the acceleration code is rewritten to intercept and split drawing commands across multiple GPUs. The current RandR multihead model simply defines a large virtual buffer and positions screens within that buffer; great for multiple screens on a single GPU but doesn't scale to >1 GPU.

Your best bet for multi-GPU support with 6xx-and-up GPUs today would be fglrx, since it already includes all the functionality for splitting drawing commands across multiple GPUs and screens.
        Last edited by bridgman; 18 May 2009, 01:38 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Working...
        X