AMD Continues Working Toward HDR Display Support For The Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Granted there's a lot of SDR content masquerading as HDR (it's encapsulated and not true HDR). Disney has been criticized for doing it with The Mandalorian, and they're not the only ones by far.

However, part of the problem is just really bad HDR monitors. The good ones are still out of reach for the average person. I have a $300 HDR-10 4k monitor from LG with contrast so bad I can barely use it even in SDR without cringing. It'll end up being sold or used for something I can marginally tolerate its deficiencies. It's also the only HDR monitor I own and probably won't buy another any time soon. I see no reason to do so with media companies & creators faking HDR content to begin with.
    Indeed, some "HDR" monitors are so bad they aren't even capable of displaying 10-bit colours. What they can is just reading HDR signal then fake as hard as they can with their SDR-level hardware. Chugworth might have fallen into that trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
      If VA-API/ffmpeg let me stream over OBS with a better result than 1 frame every 6 seconds, I'd already consider that a win.
      And if my screen didn't turn black as soon as I modified the xconf files to run with VRR, that too...
      What was the reason you're using X in 2022 again?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Middle click to lower windows. AFAIK still can't do that on Wayland in any DE.

Comment

Originally posted by SvenK View Post

It's technically not as difficult as most think. In fact you would need to have to emulate a pcie device (gpu), which is relatively easy. But you would also need a Windows kernel driver and a Windows user space driver for it and I don't believe that M$ would sign an open source driver for it, as kernel (graphic) drivers (at least a version of it) must be signed. Well if microsoft would sign it, you would have to pass commands to the virtual gpu and translate it to Vulkan/OpenGL. With Linux guests we already have it.

The complexity of it on the technical side is nothing compared to quantum mechanics.
          Would it not be easier to pass access to host render node and run the actual GPU mesa driver in guest than to do some translation?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            I read The sad, misleading, and embarrassing state of HDR in PC gaming just this week, which explains that it's a mess even on Windows for a variety of reasons. I looked for this article because I was surprised to find that nearly every monitor review I read said that the HDR support was terrible. I went for the ViewSonic XG270QC in the end, which is apparently better than most. I look forward to receiving it (in 2 weeks! ) even though I won't be able to enjoy the HDR for a little while yet.
            True HDR monitors are dropping in price. For example QD-OLED monitors, Samsung’s mini LED monitors which have 1196+ dimming zones. I bought a 27GN950 at release in 2020, I enjoy the vibrant colors but hate the 16 vertical dimming zones. I’m excited to use an OLED monitor when I upgrade in 2024 with DP 2.0. I haven’t had any issues with HDR in windows but I do agree some titles are lackluster but the majority of them have a good implementation. I even go out of my way to use dgvoodoo2 on old DX9 titles to get AutoHDR to work on them.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/revie...neo-g8-s32bg85

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/revie...nware-aw3423dw

Edit: Gears 5 was the first HDR title I played and I was impressed.
            Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 07 October 2022, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
              The problem with HDR is that it's easy to be fooled. On my television, I can't really know for sure if I'm viewing HDR content unless its menu specifically says that it is. I imagine on a laptop with no display indicator for HDR, it would be quite easy to think you're running with HDR when you're really not. That would be one thing to look out for when HDR arrives in Linux. Hopefully there will be some log entries or something that shows HDR is actually active on the display.
              Default settings are intended for lowering energy consumption by crippling picture quality.

https://www.youtube.com/c/hdtvtest
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiL6ZJXta4U
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGFt746TJu0​

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Wayland doesn't support OBS streaming properly (the option to capture screen, capture window etc. simply don't appear).
                And VRR is the real problem if i'm honest.

Also I switch between plasma and xfce, and plainly put, xfce has less bugs and generally satisfies me better. Their development is all but dead, so they're still on X. And still havent fixed their most annoying bug with the dual screen extending turning into mirroring every time you come out of suspend.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
                  Oh, it's a fairly recent TCL television that supports HDR and Dolby Vision. Like I said, its menu tells you whether the content is HDR or Dolby Vision. But right now I can open an HDR video and.... WOOOOW, look at the colors! Look at the brightness! Oh wait, I'm still in Linux.

Sure there is a difference, but unless you have two identical displays sitting side-by-side with one playing in HDR and one not, it's not so apparent just how much you're missing or gaining. I have watched movies in HDR, then later watched the same movies without HDR and really didn't feel like I was missing much. Perhaps it's just that much of the current content that calls itself HDR content isn't really taking full advantage of it.
                  Does the display have a static contrast > 1:1000? Do you have atleast 600 nits peak brightness? If you have an all black picture and can see it glowing at moderate lightning your black levels are probably to high and its unlikley that the monitor has enough contrast for HDR.

It could also be, that your Screen just blows standard sRGB SDR content up to the native display capabilitys, everything would be oversaturated and much to bright then. But switching to HDR should then drop the average brightness a fair bit. Its pretty common with many manufracturers because most buyers get easily impressed by that.

Comment

In my biased experience 99% of people that really use high resolution HDR do not use Linux. It's good that someone is working on HDR parity, but it's not a feature that I am missing at this point in time.

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

True HDR monitors are dropping in price. For example QD-OLED monitors, Samsung’s mini LED monitors which have 1196+ dimming zones. I bought a 27GN950 at release in 2020, I enjoy the vibrant colors but hate the 16 vertical dimming zones. I’m excited to use an OLED monitor when I upgrade in 2024 with DP 2.0. I haven’t had any issues with HDR in windows but I do agree some titles are lackluster but the majority of them have a good implementation. I even go out of my way to use dgvoodoo2 on old DX9 titles to get AutoHDR to work on them.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/revie...neo-g8-s32bg85

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/revie...nware-aw3423dw

Edit: Gears 5 was the first HDR title I played and I was impressed.
                    It's true that prices are dropping, but is in the same ball park as the average gamer's entire system.

I bought a 1440p 165Hz 10bit HDR screen earlier this year. Local dimming is exceptionally bad on it. HDR picture quality is almost perfect and that's for the price of ~$500 USD but it's still too expensive IMO and that's price> 1/3 of a "true HDR" monitor. I can't imagine many people are using those top-end screens. Like you said HDR content is lacking and that maybe contributes to the lack in demand for monitors. I don't use HDR in Windows because there's no point for the content that I consume at this point in time. The only content that I enjoy in proper HDR are nature documentaries and I watch that on my TV not my 165Hz gaming monitor.

I won't mind if someone give me a gaming monitors that does it all perfectly, but with some of these monitors we are approaching electricity usage of my entire desktop under heavy load. That Alienware monitor for example can draw up to 200 Watt. I want to see a reviewer play a fast paced ARPG on that monitor while they are monitoring the power draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
                      Wayland doesn't support OBS streaming properly (the option to capture screen, capture window etc. simply don't appear).
                      And VRR is the real problem if i'm honest.

Also I switch between plasma and xfce, and plainly put, xfce has less bugs and generally satisfies me better. Their development is all but dead, so they're still on X. And still havent fixed their most annoying bug with the dual screen extending turning into mirroring every time you come out of suspend.
                      There is a repeating problem why OBS screen capture does not appear under Wayland.
                      https://obsproject.com/forum/threads...th-obs.156406/
                      Not having the matching xdg-desktop-portal​ bit installed. Please note this is also a problem for those installing OBS by flatpak with X11 desktop.

There are others who have Nvidia card using Nvidia drivers who find out that xdg-desktop-portal method of screen capture does not turn out healthy this issue not restricted to Wayland but instead turns out to be issues with the Nvidia closed source driver and pipewire being used for screen capture yes it screws up under X11 as well. Hopefully at some point that mess gets sorted out.

here is a little bit of a issue with distributions not installing xdg-desktop-portal bit that match up to the desktop environment you have installed. Yes this can happen with xfce as well. Yes OBS not showing any screen capture options in Wayland because it does not have fall back when xdg-desktop-portal is missing happens this happens lot and it not wayland failure as such. This problem of missing xdg-desktop-portal causes other other issues of desktop consistency under X11 like common open file dialogs that xdg-desktop-portal provides being missing under X11 if it missing.

Mahboi I would recommend checking if you have the xdg-desktop-portal installed matching your desktop envornment. XFCE you should have the xdg-desktop-portal-gtk​ one installed. This will increase interface consistency.

I would call the OBS screen capture one these days a niggle that once you fix it the problem goes away and when you fix it many other interface consistency issues go away as well.

Mahboi I use KDE under X11 on some systems still I was have issues that applications that should have been using xdg-desktop-portal for file opening was not and it turned out the kde version of xdg-desktop-portal was not installed so where I should have been getting KDE common file open dialog I was getting all different dialogs. Yes fallback.

Comment

Working...
                      X