Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon ROCm 5.3 Released With New APIs, Fine Grain Support

Phoronix: Radeon ROCm 5.3 Released With New APIs, Fine Grain Support

Officially released today is Radeon ROCm 5.3 as the newest version of AMD's open-source compute stack for Radeon and Instinct hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There's a lot of stuff happening in ROCm. They're really putting a lot of new stuff into HiP etc. Well done!

Now if only the engineering teams weren't being undermined, constantly, by their management's obtuse refusal to make ROCm easily available to consumer card buyers, which is where the grass roots adoption occurs.

Sadly, basically, ROCm is dead, not for technical reasons, but for marketing ones. Which is criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
      There's a lot of stuff happening in ROCm. They're really putting a lot of new stuff into HiP etc. Well done!

Now if only the engineering teams weren't being undermined, constantly, by their management's obtuse refusal to make ROCm easily available to consumer card buyers, which is where the grass roots adoption occurs.

Sadly, basically, ROCm is dead, not for technical reasons, but for marketing ones. Which is criminal.
      Not an expert, but my understanding is that it does work on rx6K line and some below.

or since AMD cant never do anything good, are you upset because nothing older is supported?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
        Not an expert, but my understanding is that it does work on rx6K line and some below.
        Last I checked, it was more of a case of not-officially-supported might-work-but-might-not if-you're-lucky-maybe if-you're-not-you're-SOL. Before that it was a case of limited hardware support (at all), extremely finnicky software support, consumer use at the mercy of a motherboard feature (PCI-E atomics) that most manufacturers won't disclose their implementation of (so the only way of finding out is when your kernel bitches about it), etc.

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
        or since AMD cant never do anything good, are you upset because nothing older is supported?
        It's the opposite problem: Vega 56/64 and Radeon VII were supported on the consumer side, but anything newer was basically as above or completely unsupported. APUs, which would be a quick cheap way of running some proof of concept code are essentially ignored (which is extremely frustrating given AMDs earlier "heterogeneous computing" push which talked explicitly about APUs and how useful they will be).

I've got a 6800M in a laptop which I'd love to try ROCm on. But I'm not going to waste even more time faffing around with ROCm on there than I already have done on other systems. Say what you will about CUDA (and I'm often far from complimentary) but installing and using it now only usually takes as long as the download, a quick install plus a reboot.

edit:

It looks like they've improved matters, but when I click "ROCm Getting Started Guide" for the 5.3 release it can't find the page. Well done, looks good, very professional. OS support has broadened. Hardware support is still not as broad as it needs to be. Still, progress.

Comment

Kinda disappointed. I saw "fine grain support" and immediately thought quinoa.

Comment

Working...
          X