Thanks Microsoft: RadeonSI Enables Async VA-API For Faster Video Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
    That's nice and all, but still doesn't change the fact that I'm unable to activate hardware decoding for mpv's "gpu-next" video output on my AMD Radeon R9 380, whereas doing the same on my Intel i3-7100U works flawlessly.

Other AMD users on here already reported the same problem, so at least I know I'm not alone with this issue, which is strangely reassuring...
    I also have an AMD 380(X in my case) I had to build mpv because the repo ones didn't have gpu-next. Using either --vo=gpu-next --hwdec=auto-safe
    ​ or --vo=gpu-next --hwdec=vaapi results in the following message:

vd: Using hardware decoding (vaapi).

So I think it's working.

Comment

VAAPI-copy isn't the problem, however plain "hwdec=vaapi" is.

Could you please try the zero-copy path and see whether that one works on your RX550 aswell?

Thanks!
      under vo/gpu-next/opengl it works. gpu-api=vulkan does not work with hwdec=vaapi (fallback to software dec)and there does hwdec=auto use vaapi-copy in Sway\wayland.

Comment

verude
        Toggleton

Thanks, also just found out that it indeed only works with OpenGL, but not with Vulkan in combination with Mesa's RADV driver, which is unfortunate because it works flawlessly with Intel's ANV Vulkan driver.

But actually, it's also totally useless, because with OpenGL + VA-API, I get regular framedrops:
        Code:
        AV: 00:01:10 / 00:01:10 (100%) A-V:  0.000 DS: 2.510/19 Dropped: 29
        The same file with Vulkan + software decoding:
        Code:
        AV: 00:01:10 / 00:01:10 (100%) A-V:  0.000 DS: 2.500/2
        Also, are you guys getting the following error with OpenGL, too?
        Code:
        [vo/gpu-next] gl_fb_query: OpenGL error: GL_INVALID_OPERATION
        Thanks to both of You!

Comment

verude
          Toggleton

Thanks, also just found out that it indeed only works with OpenGL, but not with Vulkan in combination with Mesa's RADV driver, which is unfortunate because it works flawlessly with Intel's ANV Vulkan driver.

But actually, it's also totally useless, because with OpenGL + VA-API, I get regular framedrops:
          Code:
          AV: 00:01:10 / 00:01:10 (100%) A-V: 0.000 DS: 2.510/19 Dropped: 29
          The same file with Vulkan + software decoding:
          Code:
          AV: 00:01:10 / 00:01:10 (100%) A-V: 0.000 DS: 2.500/2
          Also, are you guys getting the following error with OpenGL, too?
          Code:
          [vo/gpu-next] gl_fb_query: OpenGL error: GL_INVALID_OPERATION
          Thanks to both of You!
          yes i get with the OpenGL vaapi one [vo/gpu-next] gl_fb_query: OpenGL error: GL_INVALID_OPERATION too

For 1080p do i not get regular framedrops with openGL vaapi for both h264 h265(only at the start sometimes a few).

Comment

Working...
          X