No announcement yet.

catalyst 9.5 seems to be out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on Gentoo AMD64 too and don't have this problem anymore after learning how to update the ebuild correctly. Also, I emerge it only after booting to single user first (by writing "softlevel=boot" in the Grub boot loader screen). Then:

modprobe -r fglrx
    emerge -C ati-drivers
    rm -r /etc/ati
    rm /lib/modules/CURRENT-RUNNING-KERNEL/video/fglrx.ko
    emerge ati-drivers
    eselect opengl set ati
    reboot

It's crucial to have updated the ebuild correctly prior to this though, including correctly creating a symlink in the "files" directory where the patches are placed.

Comment

rebooting is not necessary, but stopping X helps.
      Also eselect opengl set xorg-x11 first prevents dangling symlinks. Learned it the hard way to do this first ...

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        Also eselect opengl set xorg-x11 first prevents dangling symlinks. Learned it the hard way to do this first ...
        hi archlinux64 here, whats your ati chipset?

Comment

You missed the point where I did softlevel=boot. Therefore, reboot.

No, that's been fixed for quite some time. It's not necessary to do this by hand anymore, the ebuild does it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            I'm on Gentoo AMD64 too and don't have this problem anymore after learning how to update the ebuild correctly. Also, I emerge it only after booting to single user first (by writing "softlevel=boot" in the Grub boot loader screen). Then:

modprobe -r fglrx
            emerge -C ati-drivers
            rm -r /etc/ati
            rm /lib/modules/CURRENT-RUNNING-KERNEL/video/fglrx.ko
            emerge ati-drivers
            eselect opengl set ati
            reboot

It's crucial to have updated the ebuild correctly prior to this though, including correctly creating a symlink in the "files" directory where the patches are placed.
            sup whats your chipset?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              You missed the point where I did softlevel=boot. Therefore, reboot.

No, that's been fixed for quite some time. It's not necessary to do this by hand anymore, the ebuild does it for you.
              yeah, but you don't have to boot into whatever runlevel. Just switch to vt, stop X, update drivers and then reboot or restart X depending on your luck.

Comment

I wonder what could be wrong with my install? (Slamd64, KDE4 with 3D graphics effects enabled, ATI Radeon 3200 onboard).

9.5 dosen't seem to have brought any improvements. Instead it has made things *worse* !

I'm not seeing any increase in performance with 3D graphics (I don't know if anyone has seen this?) .... the worst is 2D video though!

Playing video with GL flickers *badly* in a window flickers *badly* to the point of being unwatchable. Xv works better, but is intermittent - resizing a window when it is playing video using Xv often crashes the system.

x.x

ljones

Comment

Originally posted by ljones View Post
                  I wonder what could be wrong with my install? (Slamd64, KDE4 with 3D graphics effects enabled, ATI Radeon 3200 onboard).

9.5 dosen't seem to have brought any improvements. Instead it has made things *worse* !

I'm not seeing any increase in performance with 3D graphics (I don't know if anyone has seen this?) .... the worst is 2D video though!

Playing video with GL flickers *badly* in a window flickers *badly* to the point of being unwatchable. Xv works better, but is intermittent - resizing a window when it is playing video using Xv often crashes the system.

x.x

ljones
                  You're going to get flicker with GL unless (a) you're running without a compositor (ie no "desktop effects") and (b) you have GL sync-to-vblank turned on in CCC-LE.

I don't think a performance increase in 3D is expected with 9.5.
                  Test signature

Comment

yeah, but you don't have to boot into whatever runlevel. Just switch to vt, stop X, update drivers and then reboot or restart X depending on your luck.
                    That doesn't work here because the kernel module remains loaded because Catalyst prevents KDM from being stopped (a bug with fglrx that's there for as long as I can remember). With your way, I'm would be running a new catalyst version while the old module is still running. You have to terminate X completely, then modprobe -r fglrx. If X is still loaded, the modprobe -r won't work.

Comment

• as I wrote - stop X

Comment

Working...
                      X