No announcement yet.

Rusticl Support For AMD RadeonSI Driver Being Worked On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are plenty of recent news about Rust coding of linux kernel drivers, libs, etc... the general direction those news seem to point towards is that of a faster bringup to a minimal usable form than what is usual for C coding... part of it might be due to rewriting being faster than working from scratch, but there are new drivers being worked on that seem to actually be written from scratch pretty fast.

Hopefully this trend shows up with OpenCL rust efforts and we get better OpenCL support built-in on Mesa with faster bringup of new features from thereafter. One can dream...

Comment

dragorth, Black_Fox, there is also a vulkan backend for pytorch. I had a bit of trouble compiling it for arch, and ended up pushing it back later (I don't know enough Ninja to properly fix LDFLAGS, but I was very close).

Comment

Nice work, I wonder what the performance is like against Clover and ROCm. ROCm is currently broken on my R9 Fury (they broke all gfx803 ASM kernels recently...). Clover has been in a sad state, not even running john the ripper most of the time.

A few years ago, I successfully used jtr to perform a dictionary attack using a wordlist, but I haven't been able to replicate it on the same system recently...

I'm a bit concerned about the 2G memory limit, is it temporary? Were those kernel crashes submitted upstream? That shouldn't happen, regardless of what userspace is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
          Nice work, I wonder what the performance is like against Clover and ROCm. ROCm is currently broken on my R9 Fury (they broke all gfx803 ASM kernels recently...). Clover has been in a sad state, not even running john the ripper most of the time.

A few years ago, I successfully used jtr to perform a dictionary attack using a wordlist, but I haven't been able to replicate it on the same system recently...

I'm a bit concerned about the 2G memory limit, is it temporary? Were those kernel crashes submitted upstream? That shouldn't happen, regardless of what userspace is doing.

Also yes, the 2G limit is temporary, because that's a gallium restriction as offsets and sizes are all 32 bit. But I also lowered the restrictions by only limiting allocations, not total memory reported.

Comment

Wow, that's really good news.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              You may use OpenCL drivers from AMD: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ess-amdgpu-pro

Comment

Working...
              X