Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD RDNA3 GPUs Can Have A Lot More Vector Registers Than RDNA2

Phoronix: AMD RDNA3 GPUs Can Have A Lot More Vector Registers Than RDNA2

A code commit that was merged to LLVM's AMDGPU shader compiler back-end on Friday afternoon confirms that GFX11/RDNA3 GPUs can have a lot more vector registers than prior GFX10 (RDNA / RDNA2) GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Probably means a 50% price increase, because apparently if you're not spending at least $250, you might as well buy something used.

Comment

Time will tell - with nVidia just announcing the debacle that is the 4090/4080. I'm thinking of going AMD on my next build, I'm currently Intel/nVidia now, at least my main PC. This laptop is AMD/nVidia, and I'm pretty impressed with it. Let's hope AMD doesn't decide it can start running away with prices...

Comment

Originally posted by SquidHM3 View Post
        with nVidia just announcing the debacle that is the 4090/4080.
        You mean in terms of size/power/MSRP? Yeah, pretty tone-deaf, on all accounts. Let's hope they release a power/price-"optimized" variant, in coming months.

The power & pricing of the 4000-series launch lineup is a real shame, because it does have some cool features.

Let's hope AMD doesn't decide it can start running away with prices...
        Although it's a CPU and not a GPU, AMD announced (a few weeks ago) its 7950X would launch at $100 cheaper than its 5950X did. I think that's pretty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Probably means a 50% price increase, because apparently if you're not spending at least $250, you might as well buy something used.
          I still think the RX 6400 / 6500XT was designed to scale down well to lower prices. I'm pretty sure AMD would even make money on them, if they drop below $100. Intel's A380 has a die on the same process node that's 50% bigger and it has 50% more DRAM. If Intel & its board partners can at least break even at $140, then there has got to be some flexibility left in the Navi 24 price structure.

I realize your $250 price threshold already excludes Navi 24, but if we take it as a sign of where AMD is headed with RDNA 3 (being the last RDNA 2 chip they launched), then it could be somewhat promising.

Comment

if AMD doesn't get too greedy (Nvidia's pricing reached the insulting level long ago), they can take a lot of market share this generation. And from what I saw from the rumors, they have decent offerings in the pipeline which are optimized for performance per area per watt. Even though 5nm is a more costly process, that hints to a cost advantage against Nvidia that could (and should!) trickle down to us consumers eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              You mean in terms of size/power/MSRP? Yeah, pretty tone-deaf, on all accounts. Let's hope they release a power/price-"optimized" variant, in coming months.

The power & pricing of the 4000-series launch lineup is a real shame, because it does have some cool features.

Although it's a CPU and not a GPU, AMD announced (a few weeks ago) its 7950X would launch at $100 cheaper than its 5950X did. I think that's pretty impressive.
              Yes sir, quite true - I didn't really mention it in my last post because I didn't want to sound snobbish - my current rig is an i9-10980xe with an rtx 3090 (non-Ti) and 256GB of system RAM. I run Windows on that machine, and run a very, very heavily modded Skyrim (among other workloads). 24GB of VRAM might seem excessive, but I've seen it use as much as 92% of that memory!! I've thought about pursuing AMD's professional cards, that have 32GB of VRAM on them. Gaming isn't all I do, I also run einstein@home and rosetta@home as well.

Heck, the only reason I have a system that nice is all the overtime I worked in 2020-2021. I dropped a metric ton of cash on that thing. Enough to buy a quality used car. In today's economy, that would be highly unwise to do for sure. And I'm sure the wife wouldn't be happy about it either.

Been a long time lurker on this forum, and decided it was about time to start getting involved.

Comment

Been a long time lurker on this forum, and decided it was about time to start getting involved.
                Welcome to the party!
                🍻

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  the sources i know speak of a very small increase of the price compared to the old 6000 models in the same vram size more like 50€... not 50%...

the 6950XT is now 900€ the 7000 card with 16gb vram will be 950€...

the 6650xt is 360€ the 700 card with 8gb vram will be 410€

the 6750xt is now 490€ the 7000 card with 12gb vram is 540€ ...

the only card who is more pricy is the 24GB vram model with 3D stagged cache will be something like 1400€...

but the RTX 4090 will be 1900€... compared to this the amd cards will be cheap...

and the 7000 cards will have FSR3(similar to DLSS) in hardware FMA/Matrix AI cores what will make it 8% faster compared to FSR2.1
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    i did read that the 7000 cards will have a small price increase something like 50 dollars...

means with actual prices a 16gb vram RDNA3 is 950€...
                    8gb RDNA3 card is 410€
                    12gb 540€
                    24GB version with 3D stagged cache is 1400€
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                    X