No announcement yet.

Mesa 22.3 RadeonSI Enables OpenGL Threading By Default To Enhance Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 22.3 RadeonSI Enables OpenGL Threading By Default To Enhance Performance

Phoronix: Mesa 22.3 RadeonSI Enables OpenGL Threading By Default To Enhance Performance

Back in August I wrote about AMD developers looking at OpenGL threading by default for their RadeonSI Gallium3D driver. One month later that change has now landed for next quarter's Mesa 22.3 -- barring any issues coming up that would lead to it being reverted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mesa 22.3 will be a fine release for AMD users.

Comment

I think it makes more sense to have a blacklist than a whitelist for this sort of thing. I'm sure the games that run worse would still have playable framerates.

Comment

Could this impact web browser performance? Or a productivity application like Blender?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I think it makes more sense to have a blacklist than a whitelist for this sort of thing. I'm sure the games that run worse would still have playable framerates.
          Apps run better on what devs test on. If app developers are running glthread, future apps will run better on glthread. If it's deemed stable and performant enough, it shouldn't be disabled due to fear of potential regressions. The current allow list was getting huge, which further reinforces that it's more likely to help than to hurt performance.

EDIT: I read your comment backwards, our comments are in agreement.
          Last edited by jntesteves; 22 September 2022, 10:55 AM.

Comment

This is welcome news for the AMD crowd. At some point it doesn't benefit the users to continue to wait to flip on the enablement. You'll never catch all the bugs or issues without it being in the wild and users beating on it. Rip off the bandage and prepare for the bugs and corner cases likely to come to light. If it's as stable as they think it will be, most users shouldn't see much difference save for the perf improvements. Fix the bugs as hey come.

Comment

Working...
            X