Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa Radeon Driver "RADV" Ray-Tracing Performance Becoming Viable For Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Radeon Driver "RADV" Ray-Tracing Performance Becoming Viable For Linux Gaming

Phoronix: Mesa Radeon Driver "RADV" Ray-Tracing Performance Becoming Viable For Linux Gaming

In addition to a ~10% performance boost seen yesterday for RADV ray-tracing performance with Quake II RTX, another merge request also made it to Mesa 22.3 for much more significantly bolstering the RADV ray-tracing performance. With all of the recent RADV ray-tracing work, we are finally reaching a point where it's becoming viable for Linux gamers on this open-source driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does Dying Light 2 already work (VKD3D_CONFIG=dxr11 VKD3D_FEATURE_LEVEL=12_1)?

Comment

Ray Tracing is still slightly garbled on NAVI22

Comment

I intend to play Control in the near future. Ray tracing wasn't on my mind when I bought the 6600XT, but now it seems I'll get to use it. So... cool! Control makes great use of global illumination.

Comment

Control doesn't have RT GI, but its RT AO and reflections add a lot to a more convincing lighting impression. But I don't think your fps will be sufficient without the FSR 2 mod working properly with Control.

Comment

Quick test: Control seems to be smoothly playable on 2560x1440 with RT preset set to medium now on a 6900XT. Nice

Comment

Wonder how this compares to the Windows performance for AMD's drivers. I'D LOVE TO SEE some benchmarks comparing RADV/PRO/AMDVLK Ray Tracing performance compared to the AMD Windows Drivers.. Maybe I'll have to do it myself since nobody seems to be interested.

It can be extra work since you gotta do non-rt benchmarks first to develop a baseline comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                I'D LOVE TO SEE some benchmarks comparing RADV/PRO/AMDVLK Ray Tracing performance compared to the AMD Windows Drivers.
                I second that, definitively a good comparison to see where all this optimization is leading and how long until performance parity.

Comment

Working...
                X