Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD RDNA 3 Being Announced On 3 November

Phoronix: AMD RDNA 3 Being Announced On 3 November

AMD is expected to announce their Radeon RX 7000 "RDNA 3" graphics cards on 3 November...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The announcement of an announcement

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
      I just commented to a comment on an announcement of an announcement :P

Comment

I hope they use pcie x16 and not x8 or orribpe x4 for the entry level chipset.

Comment

This article compels me to mentally picture an AMD top engineer with a pirate hat screaming FIRE AT WILL.

On a more serious note, Nvidia's pricing puts them directly in the enterprise tier. No sane consumer market will accept an 900 dollars 4070/4080 12Go. The 4090 will probably pass but let's be honest, these cards are for people who will throw away their money anyway.

Over 70% of the keynote was B2B announcements, so the message is pretty clear that Nvidia is not going to bother competing with lower priced cards, especially with AMD gunning for it and the massive oversupply of 3000 series.

The ball is entirely in AMD's court now. They can follow the price hike and excellent cards, but they almost definitely will not beat the top of the line. They can aim to hold the below 800 dollars market, aka 90% of the consumer market. Or they can price their every card like Nvidia, but one tier lower: 7900 at 1200, 7800 at 900, and 7700 at 600.

AMD's choice is going to boil down between the margins or the competition. Nvidia's margins are huge but everyone and their mother has been echoing that AMD's chiplets will have ever better returns due to fixing a large amount of yield losses. If AMD wants even larger margins, they can price close, or fall on the market and really take large shares from Nvidia for the coming 2 years or more.

AMD aiming for reasonable cards in terms of power consumption is also a good argument for "reasonable" prices. Which isn't 700 dollars for a mid-to-high range, but that's how this market is.

I'm eagerly awaiting to see their positionment. Margins or market share, what will they want most?
          Last edited by Mahboi; 20 September 2022, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Dear AMD,

Speaking of threes and Novembers, I have a birthday on 30 November if you'd like the free advertisement of someone typing various forms of "My RX 7800 kicks ass" and "AMD is a lot better than Intel" and "Fdisk Nvidia" in forums for the next 5 years.

Mahboi

All AMD needs to do is release one GPU that targets 4K/75, 2K/120, and 1080p/240 for non-RT games for under $400. That's it. All it has to do is play most games on higher settings at gamer frame rates. While they'd be nice, the GPU I'm describing wouldn't need RT cores or things like that. It'd be a true budget gamer GPU and not a high end that had factory fuck up so it's called a lower model.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
              Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I just commented to a comment on an announcement of an announcement :P

Comment

These should have av1 encode, it will be really nice if they do.

Comment

I like my 6800M, so if priced reasonably, I might switch my gaming rig to AMD for the first time in... oh, over a decade?

But that compute stack...

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
                    This article compels me to mentally picture an AMD top engineer with a pirate hat screaming FIRE AT WILL.

On a more serious note, Nvidia's pricing puts them directly in the enterprise tier. No sane consumer market will accept an 900 dollars 4070/4080 12Go. The 4090 will probably pass but let's be honest, these cards are for people who will throw away their money anyway.

Over 70% of the keynote was B2B announcements, so the message is pretty clear that Nvidia is not going to bother competing with lower priced cards, especially with AMD gunning for it and the massive oversupply of 3000 series.

The ball is entirely in AMD's court now. They can follow the price hike and excellent cards, but they almost definitely will not beat the top of the line. They can aim to hold the below 800 dollars market, aka 90% of the consumer market. Or they can price their every card like Nvidia, but one tier lower: 7900 at 1200, 7800 at 900, and 7700 at 600.

AMD's choice is going to boil down between the margins or the competition. Nvidia's margins are huge but everyone and their mother has been echoing that AMD's chiplets will have ever better returns due to fixing a large amount of yield losses. If AMD wants even larger margins, they can price close, or fall on the market and really take large shares from Nvidia for the coming 2 years or more.

AMD aiming for reasonable cards in terms of power consumption is also a good argument for "reasonable" prices. Which isn't 700 dollars for a mid-to-high range, but that's how this market is.

I'm eagerly awaiting to see their positionment. Margins or market share, what will they want most?
                    The event was mostly B2B because GTC is a B2B event. It just so happened that they needed to launch rtx40xx now. Usually GTC is 100% B2B.

But yes, I think AMD will be very competitive this generation, both performance and price. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                    X