AMD Preps More AMDGPU Fixes For Linux 6.1, Still Working On Gang Submit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Preps More AMDGPU Fixes For Linux 6.1, Still Working On Gang Submit

Phoronix: AMD Preps More AMDGPU Fixes For Linux 6.1, Still Working On Gang Submit

In addition to Intel having closed out last week by submitting their last batch of feature updates to DRM-Next for kernel graphics driver changes slated for Linux 6.1, AMD engineers also did the same with their likely last major set of AMDGPU driver changes intended for this next kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:
    Mesa's Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" is currently one user awaiting the ganf submission support​ for completing

Comment

I'm wondering when AMD will fix issues that are currently making their GPU not work as advertised on Linux, such as mentioned in this thread: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/476
      Basically, if you go on AMD's web site for their product (RX 6600 for example), they make it look like they support Windows and Linux equally, with all the features and software they list and show, while in reality this is a lie. HDMI 2.1 does not work and the software they show to change the color mode also does not work (in order to change the incorrectly set YCbCr to RGB for instance), there are certainly many other things as well that currently make this false advertising and product offering.
      Last edited by Jeff; 19 September 2022, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
        I'm wondering when AMD will fix issues that are currently making their GPU not work as advertised on Linux, such as mentioned in this thread: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/476
        Basically, if you go on AMD's web site for their product (RX 6600 for example), they make it look like they support Windows and Linux equally, with all the features and software they list and show, while in reality this is a lie. HDMI 2.1 does not work and the software they show to change the color mode also does not work (in order to change the incorrectly set YCbCr to RGB for instance), there are certainly many other things as well that currently make this false advertising and product offering.
        Sorry, but if you want to criticize AMD, then this isn't the right forum to do so...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Sorry, but if you want to criticize AMD, then this isn't the right forum to do so...
          Legitimate complaints are fair game, as long as you aren't just blatantly trolling. There's a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Even with AMD's stellar open source Linux support, it doesn't mean it's perfect and must be immune from criticism..

Comment

“Gang submit” sounds cool. Like yeah, I’m a Crypt.

Comment

did you read amd responses on that thread? it's combination of your weak tv and lack of linux-wide feature of overriding default. amd can't dictate linux-wide changes, it's working on them, but they can take a lot of time. sell your tv and buy something better. preferably with displayport. or apply one of patches floating on that thread manually

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  did you read amd responses on that thread? it's combination of your weak tv and lack of linux-wide feature of overriding default. amd can't dictate linux-wide changes, it's working on them, but they can take a lot of time. sell your tv and buy something better. preferably with displayport. or apply one of patches floating on that thread manually
                  I think you are a bit wrong here, you may not have read the thread. The default output should be RGB, regardless if the TV also supports yCbCr. If you read the entire thread you will see that it is acknowledged that this is a bug. My previous video cards (Nvidia to be honest) never did that, they always defaulted to RGB which is expected. Also, this is to the detriment of AMD to default to that mode, the image quality is poor, while they could default to RGB. Of course if you use an older type of TV or monitor you may not have that problem. I would certainly not say that top end LG Oled TVs are poor TVs, probably far better than most typical linux desktop users' monitor. I would love if the best TVs all had Display port but generally it seems they don't.

The only reason I posted here is that I see a lot of fix and things done for newer cards, etc., but this specific issue on the amdgpu issue tracker has been open for something like 4 years and still hasn't been addressed. I only want to bring more attention so that hopefully it can be fixed but also for people to be aware in case it matters for them.

Don't get me wrong, I am not an AMD "hater", if things are good and at a good price I will definitely switch (which is why I got an AMD RX 6000 serie card and 4 different AMD ryzen CPUs running on different systems). It is just annoying that I have to go back at compiling my own kernel again with this patch.

I also understood prior to buying a new AMD card that everything would be fine on linux since everyone kept saying that on linux with AMD GPU you have nothing to install, everything works out of the box without any problem, no need to install proprietary drivers. Well apart from that issue, I also needed to install the AMD GPU proprietary driver package to add the opencl stack that I needed (did not find any other way, maybe I missed something, I was able to do it without installing the actual driver, just the opencl library so not too bad at the end). Again, I did not have any of these issue with the nvidia drivers before.

Also, (sorry I am repeating myself here from my original post... ) the other thing pointed out in that amdpgu issue tracker is that AMD are saying on their website product that they support Windows and Linux (they don't say one is better than the other really), and even describe how to change the colour output, but there is no clear mention that this should only be possible on Windows, and even that the GUI they are showing would only be available on Windows.
                  https://www.amd.com/en/products/grap...radeon-rx-6600 OS Support:
                  • Windows 11 - 64-Bit Edition
                  • Windows 10 - 64-Bit Edition
                  • Linux x86_64
                  ​Also as someone pointed out, they also say HDMI 2.1 but on linux only HDMI 2.0 works (I could not verify that myself since my TV is HDMI 2.0)
                  So really to me this is the biggest part, because I made my decision when I purchased the card based on what people were saying but also on what AMD themselves were saying on their web site, but there are a couple of things that do not work to the point that you wouldn't want to use that card (I mean if you see how the image look after you have been playing in RGB all your life you would not tolerate that).
                  Last edited by Jeff; 20 September 2022, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I think you are a bit wrong here, you may not have read the thread. The default output should be RGB, regardless if the TV also supports yCbCr. If you read the entire thread you will see that it is acknowledged that this is a bug.
                    if you read entire thread you'll see that rgb will be a regression in certain cases. you just think that you are more important than others

Comment

Working...
                    X