Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Lands New GPU Firmware Binaries In Linux-Firmware.Git

Phoronix: AMD Lands New GPU Firmware Binaries In Linux-Firmware.Git

AMD landed several new GPU firmware binaries into the linux-firmware.git repository this morning for unreleased hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now that the AMD Ryzen 7000 series desktop have an iGPU (while being kneecapped in the PCIe department), let's hope the main stream mobo manufacturers will offer good PCIe bifurcation options on that x16 slot for usage with non-graphics cards, e.g two x8 one for a storage card and one for a high-bandwidth network card. I'm not holding my breath, both INTEL and AMD used and use the nb of PCIe lanes to segment their processor markets. Most recent victim: the non-Pro Threadripper.

Comment

It would be nice to have some tool or site that converts these blocks numbers into list of hardware that they affect.

bridgman pointed out (see here), that some of that is referenced here as chip to block matching (i.e. the other way), but it's not a complete list:

https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature...marketingnames
      Last edited by shmerl; 13 September 2022, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by domih View Post
        Now that the AMD Ryzen 7000 series desktop have an iGPU (while being kneecapped in the PCIe department), let's hope the main stream mobo manufacturers will offer good PCIe bifurcation options on that x16 slot for usage with non-graphics cards, e.g two x8 one for a storage card and one for a high-bandwidth network card. I'm not holding my breath, both INTEL and AMD used and use the nb of PCIe lanes to segment their processor markets. Most recent victim: the non-Pro Threadripper.
        Don't the "SLI/Crossfire capable" boards already do that though? Those support x16/x0 and x8/x8 on top two x16 slots. Sure, they're not the cheapest boards out there, much cheaper than Threadripper stuff though.

Comment

I have a question. Michael posits Linux 5.18 for integrated graphics support, but which kernel is required for general CPU? I saw a leak early in the year claiming a Zen 4 part on a generic Ubuntu 5.15 kernel, but I haven't read anything official. If you purchase Zen 4, what will you need software side?

Comment

That's the question I have spent the last half hour trying to find out. I have a 7950X system upgrade incoming and I still don't know whether it will run on my current Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS installation without some necessary upgrades done beforehand.

Comment

Working...
            X