Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Vulkan Driver RADV Lands 3D Sparse Image Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Radeon Vulkan Driver RADV Lands 3D Sparse Image Support

    Phoronix: Radeon Vulkan Driver RADV Lands 3D Sparse Image Support

    The latest open-source Radeon Vulkan driver work for Mesa 22.3's RADV is enabling 3D sparse image support...

    https://www.phoronix.com/news/RADV-3...-Image-Support

  • #2
    These last minute patches to stop polaris getting new features makes me feel even more comfortable with the sale of my old RX 480. Looks like even opensource community is unable to maintain this broken piece of hardware. It is sad that it served me well while it can but now I feel like I need something newer.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post
      These last minute patches to stop polaris getting new features makes me feel even more comfortable with the sale of my old RX 480. Looks like even opensource community is unable to maintain this broken piece of hardware. It is sad that it served me well while it can but now I feel like I need something newer.
      Wait, doesn't it mean they'll simply enable it later for Polaris when that broken Polaris behavior is fixed? Polaris is still one of the most used architectures on Linux.

      Comment


      • #4
        When something is inherently missing or broken in the hardware most likely the answer is no. Vega is more refined than polaris which was a glorified tonga to begin with.

        Comment


        • #5
          Something broken in hardware is one thing, RDNA 1 also had some serious hardware bugs that were probably part of the reason initial RDNA 1 driver experience was a bugfest on both WIndows and Linux. But hardware bugs can have workarounds in software. The question is, is there something really missing in Polaris architecture that is required for this feature. If yes, then why did they want to bring it to Polaris as well in the first place?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post
            These last minute patches to stop polaris getting new features makes me feel even more comfortable with the sale of my old RX 480. Looks like even opensource community is unable to maintain this broken piece of hardware. It is sad that it served me well while it can but now I feel like I need something newer.
            I think we maintain Polaris quite fine.

            Maintenance and adding new features are not the same thing however.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by user1 View Post

              Wait, doesn't it mean they'll simply enable it later for Polaris when that broken Polaris behavior is fixed? Polaris is still one of the most used architectures on Linux.
              Im personally not satisfied with the level of support Polaris has for hardware features, iirc we still dont even have hevc amf support, and instead need to rely on vaapi. and on polaris we still dont haveimage_drm_format_modifer support which is needed for vulkan sway and mpv's no copy support in vaapi with libplacebo. which as far as I can tell, both the intel igpus and the nvidia gpus from the same era support.

              pair that with the pains i've been having lately with compute on my rx 580. my next card will likely be nvidia, but im willing to wait a bit longer for the next generations of the intel dgpus assuming they actually come. i've supported AMD for a long time now, but i have wasted enough money.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by user1 View Post

                Wait, doesn't it mean they'll simply enable it later for Polaris when that broken Polaris behavior is fixed? Polaris is still one of the most used architectures on Linux.
                Not only that but starting with Polaris (and maybe older GPUs) there's barely any incentive to buy new GPUs unless you're a gamer or a crypto miner. In the past one bought new video cards because your old video card couldn't handle your desktop's 3D effects or couldn't support OpenGL properly, nowadays even the weakest sold video cards can easily handle all of this.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cl333r View Post

                  Not only that but starting with Polaris (and maybe older GPUs) there's barely any incentive to buy new GPUs unless you're a gamer or a crypto miner. In the past one bought new video cards because your old video card couldn't handle your desktop's 3D effects or couldn't support OpenGL properly, nowadays even the weakest sold video cards can easily handle all of this.
                  I have an RX 580 4GB and while I wouldn't really call myself a "gamer", there are still a few mostly older titles that I like to play (not interested in much of the latest AAA stuff). I currently have zero incentive to by a new GPU because I'm more than satisfied with the performance of the RX 580 in my games and also because of how pathetic dGPU market has become in the last few years. I mean were like 6 years after the release of Polaris and GTX 1060 and there are still no real 200-250$ successors to these cards.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

                    Im personally not satisfied with the level of support Polaris has for hardware features, iirc we still dont even have hevc amf support, and instead need to rely on vaapi. and on polaris we still dont haveimage_drm_format_modifer support which is needed for vulkan sway and mpv's no copy support in vaapi with libplacebo. which as far as I can tell, both the intel igpus and the nvidia gpus from the same era support.

                    pair that with the pains i've been having lately with compute on my rx 580. my next card will likely be nvidia, but im willing to wait a bit longer for the next generations of the intel dgpus assuming they actually come. i've supported AMD for a long time now, but i have wasted enough money.
                    Well, I guess we have different needs with regards to graphics card use. I'm personally very satisfied with the Linux support for my RX 580, because all I need it for is to play a few games that I like and most of them run even better than on Windows thanks to the superb optimizations of RadeonSi and Radv.

                    Regarding Nvidia, I would've not had a problem buying Nvidia if I used only WIndows. But I'm really not a fan of their Linux drivers. Of course if you need things like Cuda and other Nvidia exclusive stuff, then that's the only option.
                    Last edited by user1; 07 September 2022, 04:31 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X