Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Lands Video Encoding Quality Improvements For Mesa 22.3

Phoronix: AMD Lands Video Encoding Quality Improvements For Mesa 22.3

AMD has merged video acceleration quality improvements into Mesa 22.3's Gallium3D VA front-end for benefiting open-source video acceleration on Radeon GPUs...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/AMD-VA-Quality-Mesa-22.3

Finally!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Finally!
      So now you're finally going to upgrade from Mesa 19?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

So now you're finally going to upgrade from Mesa 19?
        Maybe... I am worried because I did look around for possible bugs and I've seen a few hangs reported and:
        1. One of them is left completely ignored
        2. The other got a fix, but still remains open for some reason

Comment

Maybe... I am worried because I did look around for possible bugs and I've seen a few hangs reported and:
          1. One of them is left completely ignored
          2. The other got a fix, but still remains open for some reason
          Did you try it with another Vega? A lot of these things have faulty chips that would hang for no reason. When I had one, I also was hitting numerous crashes and tried to report them, but the flow of hangs never seemed to stop. Then I started digging hardware forums, and found that Vega chips a bane of the Earth (even on Windows), many of them encountered a hardware failure within 1.5 years of use.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post

Did you try it with another Vega? A lot of these things have faulty chips that would hang for no reason. When I had one, I also was hitting numerous crashes and tried to report them, but the flow of hangs never seemed to stop. Then I started digging hardware forums, and found that Vega chips a bane of the Earth (even on Windows), many of them encountered a hardware failure within 1.5 years of use.
            This is the only Vega card I have.

It's most likely a driver problem because:
            - it doesn't hang on Windows
            - it doesn't hang on Mesa 19.0 or earlier

I only tested with Mesa 19.1, 19.2 and 19.3. I got to test again...

Comment

All Hail Our Holy Lady Dr. Lisa Su!

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
                I can relate to this as well. My Vega 56 card worked around 6 months, and kept spawning errors in Linux during that time. Then one day it completely gave up and I couldn't boot the computer. The card was completely dead, not even the fugly rgb leds lit up.

I kindly asked the retailer if I could get a 5700 card instead, which were very new that time. And I was very happy that I only had to add €50 to get it exchanged. The very same 5700 card is still running fine efter 3 years. No error spamming.

Comment

Does it include/already has B-frame support?

In propertiary windows stack it was added some time ago and on windows AMD is almost on par with Nvidia/Intel encoders.

Comment

This is the only Vega card I have.

It's most likely a driver problem because:
                    - it doesn't hang on Windows
                    - it doesn't hang on Mesa 19.0 or earlier

I only tested with Mesa 19.1, 19.2 and 19.3. I got to test again...
                    if it means anything to ya, I have been fairly stable on the 22.* series.

I do however undervolt/under power my card to keep the noise down (blowers are great for keeping cases cool, but LOUD) - I found that keeps it way more stable

Comment

Working...
                    X