No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon 680M Graphics Benchmarks Across Various Linux Kernel, Mesa Versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon 680M Graphics Benchmarks Across Various Linux Kernel, Mesa Versions

Phoronix: AMD Radeon 680M Graphics Benchmarks Across Various Linux Kernel, Mesa Versions

With the Ryzen 6000 "Rembrandt" mobile processors most exciting about these Zen 3+ SoCs has been the energy efficiency improvements and moving from Vega to RDNA2 graphics as with the Radeon 680M found on the Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U that I have been running many Linux benchmarks on over the past several weeks. For those wondering if it pays off moving to a newer Linux kernel or Mesa version with Radeon 680M integrated graphics, here are some reference benchmarks I recently conducted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In the case of GravityMark, the Linux 5.15 kernel was performing slightly faster but may be due to Ubuntu 22.04's stock kernel using amd-pstate on this system -- but I have a CPUFreq vs. P-State comparison coming up shortly.
    Michael

Thanks for these!

Hopefully you'll also include the performance governor into the mix...

Comment

I just bought a Lenovo T16 with the same chip in it. For the amount of power it consumes, it absolutely flys.

However, I have noticed some issues with certain kinds of software. Most of my steam games crash on startup (Cities: Skylines, Civ VI, etc) with no errors in the log. And then Kodi loads with a black screen with some lines on it. I'm using the 680m mesa drivers and this makes me think they're not quite ready for primetime yet. Was wondering if you can test on yours?

Edit: Ok, I think the issue is with Arch Linux. I Installed Ubuntu and Kodi works fine and my steam games work. I wonder where the problem lies...

Edit again: The problem is sway. For some reason the sway window manager breaks steam games and kodi. Everything works on Arch with Gnome.
      Last edited by Apokalypz; 18 August 2022, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Sounds about right. Ever since RDNA2 came out and we saw the first performance-per-watt results, we were excited about the APUs.

But the problem is supply, you can only produce so many. It seems that consoles got it first, then desktop cards, then some laptop cards, now finally laptop APUs when we are already getting RDNA3 code merged for the kernel.

Comment

Working...
        X