Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 22.2 Gaming Performance With Radeon RX 6700/6800 XT Graphics Cards On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 22.2 Gaming Performance With Radeon RX 6700/6800 XT Graphics Cards On Linux

Phoronix: Mesa 22.2 Gaming Performance With Radeon RX 6700/6800 XT Graphics Cards On Linux

With Mesa 22.2 bringing many new features, you may be curious about how the performance of this next Mesa3D release is looking. For your viewing pleasure today are benchmarks of Mesa 22.2 back from the day it was branched against that of the stock Mesa 22.0 on Ubuntu 22.04 if you have been wondering whether it's worthwhile upgrading... Benchmarks for this article from the current-generation Radeon RX 6700 XT and RX 6800 XT graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No benefit and in some case regression.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
      No benefit and in some case regression.
      No performance benefit, and in an extreme case regression, where you still get over 1000 fps.

I would have to assume that there are other benefits to this release, otherwise they wouldn't be shipping it. Either bug fixes, or something else. "Average framerate" is a great indicator for "they found something new to optimize" but it's not the only benefit you can have.

Comment

Originally posted by bisby View Post

No performance benefit, and in an extreme case regression, where you still get over 1000 fps.

I would have to assume that there are other benefits to this release, otherwise they wouldn't be shipping it. Either bug fixes, or something else. "Average framerate" is a great indicator for "they found something new to optimize" but it's not the only benefit you can have.
        Sorry, I only play games if I can get over 1500 FPS. It MAKES A DIFFERENCE, DAMNIT. /s

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post

Sorry, I only play games if I can get over 1500 FPS. It MAKES A DIFFERENCE, DAMNIT. /s
          I know, right. How the hell else is my 1000hz mouse gonna aim fast enough?

MorrisS. My first notice was that slight regression as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bisby View Post

It's not a complaint, it's a simple description of the tests. So, stay easy.
            Last edited by MorrisS.; 12 August 2022, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Soo, I have a 5950X with a 6800 (non-XT), and I see ~.5s freezes from time to time. Anybody else notices this or has ideas?
              This did not happen with my previous RTX 2070.
              Tried rebar on/off, stopped my temp measurements, nothing seems to prevent them. Can't find a pattern. Maybe once every 5 mins? 1 min? 10 mins? The point is that some might be unnoticeable (like when not moving).
              Oh, yeah! Ubuntu-mate 22.04, USB Soundblaster G5, 240Hz Alienware, GPWS.

Comment

Originally posted by mathew7 View Post
                Soo, I have a 5950X with a 6800 (non-XT), and I see ~.5s freezes from time to time. Anybody else notices this or has ideas?
                Tried rebar on/off, stopped my temp measurements, nothing seems to prevent them. Can't find a pattern. Maybe once every 5 mins? 1 min? 10 mins? The point is that some might be unnoticeable (like when not moving).
                Sorry, but here on Phoronix nobody is interested in helping each other to solve real-world problems!

But from the sound of your post, maybe ditching nVidia for AMD wasn't the smartest choice...

Comment

There really isn't much to go by. I'd recommend checking dmesg and journalctl to see if there's anything in the logs about the issue.

Comment

I ran into the same problem. tried everything possible. It turned out that I had no surveillance in the outlet. Try lowering your graphics card frequency by 50%. If your problem disappears, then you have a weak power supply or no current ground

Comment

Working...
                    X