AMD ROCm 5.2.1 Released For The Open-Source Radeon GPU Compute Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD ROCm 5.2.1 Released For The Open-Source Radeon GPU Compute Stack

Phoronix: AMD ROCm 5.2.1 Released For The Open-Source Radeon GPU Compute Stack

Released last month was AMD ROCm 5.2 for the company's open-source Linux GPU compute stack while out today is the v5.2.1 point release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Officially supported 😭

Comment

AMD fail...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        AMD fail...
        What do you mean?
        Are you trolling?

Comment

rx6800 is gfx 1030, I have Blender Cycle HIP running on ROCM 5.2.0 in Arch via ROCM in AUR
          Installation instructions :

Blender 3.2.1 from Arch repos

Comment

For anyone unaware, ROCm OpenCL is in default Fedora repos now! No need to add the Copr or deal with a manual install. I imagine it won't have 5.2.1 immediately.

Comment

For consumers that don't want to mess with anything and want good performance for their desktop and games, AMD is a great choice. For professionals, not really. Compared to NVIDIA and all the GPUs that CUDA supports, that list make me a very sad panda.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                For consumers that don't want to mess with anything and want good performance for their desktop and games, AMD is a great choice. For professionals, not really. Compared to NVIDIA and all the GPUs that CUDA supports, that list make me a very sad panda.

its clearly not this sad... people report that it runs on any similar cards ...

vega64/56 radeon7 similar to: PRO VII

rx6800xt rx6900xt rx6700xt similar to w6800...

of course CUDA beats that very easily...

but still AMD starts to do usefull job in gpu compute ... Blender 3.2 shows this.

also in the long run WebGPU maybe fix many of this issues
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

its clearly not this sad... people report that it runs on any similar cards ...

vega64/56 radeon7 similar to: PRO VII

rx6800xt rx6900xt rx6700xt similar to w6800...

of course CUDA beats that very easily...

but still AMD starts to do usefull job in gpu compute ... Blender 3.2 shows this.

also in the long run WebGPU maybe fix many of this issues
                  Do not forget the good old Polaris (rx460,470,480,570,580,590)!
                  I used an rx 480 8GB with ROCM compiled from source up to recently (5.1.0 I believe).
                  I used that card with pytorch (including vision and huggingface's algorithms) with great success -- all compiled from source.

I am convinced that Polaris will still work with latest blender cycles HIP and ROCm compiled from source (I do not have that card handy to test)

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X