RADV Vulkan Driver Now Supports NVIDIA's Device Generated Commands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Was it something originally planned as Nvidia only? I.e. why wasn't it proposed as a common Vulkan extension?
    It is common practice for a vendor to experiment with new technology in vendor-specific extensions. Creating a vendor-specific extension is much less work (not as strict as a cross-vendor extension where they have to cooperate with others). When others start picking up similar functionality, it can then be turned into a cross-vendor extension with a stricter spec that everyone can agree on. But that process is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
      But that process is slow.
      For all that the terms are nebulous to start, I think it's fair to say that a small portion *tends* towards slowness and there are always a couple of outliers that definitely count as slow - but I also think it's fair to say that the majority of extensions tend to be settled quickly, with activity on them in that time. Quite a few complete with remarkable speed. It's very much not your Daddy's Khronos.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
        I also think it's fair to say that the majority of extensions tend to be settled quickly, with activity on them in that time. Quite a few complete with remarkable speed. It's very much not your Daddy's Khronos.
        Which ones are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
          Which ones are you referring to?
          Not sure I understand the question, or the point of it, but I mean "All of them, in general, over the last several years".

Comment

Working...
          X