Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD ROCm 5.2 Released With New rocWMMA Library

Phoronix: AMD ROCm 5.2 Released With New rocWMMA Library

AMD has released ROCm 5.2 as the newest version of its open-source GPU compute stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is a pity there don't seem to be any new packaging fixes in this release. Making ROCm work on a non-supported OS is a real pain, requires a ton of patches.
    There is progress, but really slow. I wish they focused on it a bit more.
    Edit: What I mean is that AMD is making ROCm a great stack for supercomputers. But if you are a developer who wants to create stuff for it, between very poor GPU support, small distro compatibility, and quite broken build system for distro packagers, it is extremely unlikely for it to work on your machine. Meanwhile CUDA with all its flaws is so much easier to get working, only problem being restrictive license meaning it can't be included in some distros. Even Intel's compute stack seems much more mature and much easier to package.
    Last edited by JacekJagosz; 29 June 2022, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Add stuff, remove stuff. AMD fails again.

Removing hardware support? I'll switch to Intel soon 🤣

Comment

Works great, but I can't wait until we have an stable package on arch. Compiling the git one takes an eternity.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
          Works great, but I can't wait until we have an stable package on arch. Compiling the git one takes an eternity.
          I was about to say "it's only a few mins" but guess it depends on what CPU you have

Comment

Zeioth I honestly wanted to tell you to stop complaining As far as I know the AUR is the only complete community packaging of ROCm. So you should be glad you can run it at all, everyone else has it worse. People working on that did a crazy amount of job to make it all work.
            Last edited by JacekJagosz; 29 June 2022, 02:56 PM.

Comment

It's very strange that OpenCL support on AMD is in such a bad shape after being first-class mesa&open source citizen for all these years.
              I've used to play wine games on R600 in 2013 and yet we don't have any good OpenCL in 2022 for any GPU generation.

Not only AMD is failing to deliver. ROCm may be a joke, but mesa's own Clover driver is even worse. It doesn't even have Image Support after all these years of development. We were waiting for it in 2016 and we are still waiting...

I guess ordinary DarkTable/DaVinci etc users are out of luck here and it's not a four-leaf clover, only some pure compute cases are taken care of.

Than said, I've been successfully running DarkTable with Orca driver and Polaris card for years. And now ROCr + RDNA2 (opencl-amd AUR package).
              Last edited by sobrus; 29 June 2022, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
                It's very strange that OpenCL support on AMD is in such a bad shape after being first-class mesa&open source citizen for all these years.
                I've used to play wine games on R600 in 2013 and yet we don't have any good OpenCL in 2022 for any GPU generation.

Not only AMD is failing to deliver. ROCm may be a joke, but mesa's own Clover driver is even worse. It doesn't even have Image Support after all these years of development. We were waiting for it in 2016 and we are still waiting...

I guess ordinary DarkTable/DaVinci etc users are out of luck here and it's not a four-leaf clover, only some pure compute cases are taken care of.

Than said, I've been successfully running DarkTable with Orca driver and Polaris card for years. And now ROCr + RDNA2 (opencl-amd AUR package).
                OpenCL on Linux other than servers is over. NVidia isn't interested. AMD just announced that for the 10000 time they are going to start from scratch with a new unified driver. So another decade of doing nothing for end users. I had hopes for Clover but they seem to be walking back what they are going to support. Rusticle seemed to be doing gang busters for the week after Michael told us about it. Then it just stopped. Intel ... I don't know if they will ever release the graphics cards in North America. I am wondering if they are just going to throw in the towel now that prices are no longer astronomical due to the mining crash and the fact that every one now knows their cards are crap.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

I am wondering if [Intel] are just going to throw in the towel now that prices are no longer astronomical due to the mining crash and the fact that every one now knows their cards are crap.
                  I doubt it, considering Intel released a roadmap with four future generations of graphics cards, but I suppose it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
                    It is a pity there don't seem to be any new packaging fixes in this release.
                    I have to say, I was wrong. Building it I see some patches have been upstreamed, like from the Fedora build by AMD employee. Still a long way to go but nice progress, they could signal it more.
                    But unfortunately it also no longer builds with LLVM 14, once again you need their form, which is a pity as previous release built with LLVM 13 and 14, which was easier for distro packaging. Hope it will work when 15 gets released, but that will take time to find its way into repositories, as new CLANG breaks some stuff again, like Mesa.
                    2 steps forward, one step back.

Comment

Working...
                    X