Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rewritten NIR Code For Old Radeon "R600" Linux Driver Improves Performance In 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    I may have to give this a spin on our HTPC, which is still running a Llano 3-core CPU.
    I had honestly figure on that machine riding off into the sunset with it's current driver stack.
    Why would better 3D performance affect the life of an HTPC?

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Isn't Proton just an improved WINE? Does it really need GCN?
      A Vulkan driver is possible, but would be tedious and would require someone with the dedication and interest to step up to make it happen.

A 6990 with a rewritten Mesa driver, rewritten OpenCL driver, and a fresh Vulkan driver would be beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post
        A Vulkan driver is possible, but would be tedious and would require someone with the dedication and interest to step up to make it happen.

A 6990 with a rewritten Mesa driver, rewritten OpenCL driver, and a fresh Vulkan driver would be beautiful.
        Why is people still answering me about Vulkan drivers? My question was about Proton requiring GCN, I think that's pretty clear. Proton can work without Vulkan (as the first person to answer confirmed), just obviously Vulkan games won't run. So Proton can also run without GCN, as I expected.

Comment

Why is people still answering me about Vulkan drivers? My question was about Proton requiring GCN, I think that's pretty clear. Proton can work without Vulkan (as the first person to answer confirmed), just obviously Vulkan games won't run. So Proton can also run without GCN, as I expected.
          Yes, Proton will work, but obviously no DXVK or VKD3D etc which does really limit the utility since WineD3D is very much slower, and will probably be even more so on an r600. You could use a custom version of Proton with Gallium-Nine support added as mentioned above, that will work fine with r600g, which will at least allow older titles to work well. Also OpenGL titles will still work, but most Windows games are D3D.

Comment

When people refer to Proton, they're generally referring to DXVK on top of it, even if they aren't specifically calling it out.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              When people refer to Proton, they're generally referring to DXVK on top of it, even if they aren't specifically calling it out.
              Hmmm OK. I thought it was more like PlayOnLinux that provides viable configs for the different games, but for those shipped by Steam.

Comment

Hmmm OK. I thought it was more like PlayOnLinux that provides viable configs for the different games, but for those shipped by Steam.
                It's more like an "LTS" version of WINE which receives fixes/hacks to make games work in the Steam library and has various improvements to better integrate with Steam, such as for input support.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

IIRC a Vulkan driver for Terascale GPUs is not possible because they don't support virtual memory, a required feature for Vulkan. It was something related to how GCN handles memory that Terascale doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Motolav View Post

IIRC a Vulkan driver for Terascale GPUs is not possible because they don't support virtual memory, a required feature for Vulkan. It was something related to how GCN handles memory that Terascale doesn't
                    Wouldn't it at least be possible to support a Vulkan subset, like the RPi-VK-Driver project does for older Raspberry Pis (<4)? The VideoCore IV GPU in those SoCs was designed to support only OpenGL ES 2.0, so if a (quasi-)Vulkan driver could be developed for that, than certainly something like that could be done for Terascale GPUs as well, right?

According to this answer by agd5f in an older thread, it should at least in theory be possible to work around these limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post

Wouldn't it at least be possible to support a Vulkan subset, like the RPi-VK-Driver project does for older Raspberry Pis (<4)? The VideoCore IV GPU in those SoCs was designed to support only OpenGL ES 2.0, so if a (quasi-)Vulkan driver could be developed for that, than certainly something like that could be done for Terascale GPUs as well, right?

According to this answer by agd5f in an older thread, it should at least in theory be possible to work around these limitations.
                      These are rather core features needed - working around them would pretty much require a CPU-only implementation of Vulkan. It could be done with a software implementation of Vulkan that would compile the scene then perform a GPU-accelerated render of that scene.

Using OpenGL.

Now that would be the day...

Comment

Working...
                      X