No announcement yet.

Upgrading Ubuntu 22.04's Kernel & Mesa For Better AMD RDNA2 Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MichaelWhy did you run Superposition at lowest quality? Running it at Ultra might actually tax the hardware at a relevant level.

Comment

Originally posted by ping-wu View Post
      Debian Unstable ("Sid") actually is a very good rolling Linux release. Although it is labeled with a misnomer "unstable", because its package versions often are more up-to-date (thus the label "unstable"), it is sometimes more stable than the "stable" version, which usually does not allow version upgrade. For example, I need to regularly use ibus-libpinyin for inputting Chinese characters, and Debian Sid/Bookworm is more stable than Bullseye at least in this regard.

Of course you need to be a reasonably experienced Linux user to use Debian Sid, but I believe most of us in this forum are well beyond this level.
      this is actually so true, I had more luck running Debian Unstable than running Arch Linux / Fedora as many high profile company run unstable to test their supply chain. it is one of the most tested distro.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetsuicide View Post
        Hi,
        I have a brand new Ubuntu 22.04 with a brand new RDNA2 graphics card. I am extremey sorry as I understand that this isn't the correct place for this.
        I am having trouble following the instructions:
        - Linux 5.17 is available as an HWE kernel on Ubuntu 22.04 . Tried it. It says I'm fine on 5.15. Is it the OEM variant? Because that doesn't sound like hwe to me
        - OIBAF ppa. I already tried on an older laptop I have here, where I wanted to test galliumnine, but I always have the following issue:

The following NEW packages will be installed:
        libllvm14 libllvm14:i386
        The following packages have been kept back:
        libegl-mesa0 libegl-mesa0:i386 libgbm1 libgbm1:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri
        libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libglapi-mesa libglapi-mesa:i386 libglx-mesa0
        libglx-mesa0:i386
        The following packages will be upgraded:
        libdrm-amdgpu1 libdrm-amdgpu1:i386 libdrm-common libdrm-intel1
        libdrm-intel1:i386 libdrm-nouveau2 libdrm-nouveau2:i386 libdrm-radeon1
        libdrm-radeon1:i386 libdrm2 libdrm2:i386 libvdpau1 libxatracker2
        mesa-va-drivers mesa-va-drivers:i386 mesa-vdpau-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers
        mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386 vdpau-driver-all

THE KEPT BACK PACKAGES will fuck up the whole stack. Only solution I found is remove and reinstall the whole GNOME STACK. Can someone help me out with this? How did you manage to install the packages without breaking everything?

Thank you
        - Yes, Michael actually meant the OEM kernel but incorrectly wrote HWE.

- Don't use the OIBAF PPA if you prefer stability. Use this one instead by Kisak from Valve which provides the latest stable MESA version:

The goal of this PPA is to provide the latest point release of Mesa plus select non-invasive early backports. Deviations from upstream packages are listed on the package details page. --- Support status --- Bionic (18.04) - Discontinued - Long term users can use kisak-mesa stable Focal (20.04) - Supported Jammy (22.04) - Supported Lunar (23.04) - End of Life - Removal after 4 weeks (2024-03-01) Mantic (23.10) - Preliminary support (Not tested locally) Note: Please report any issues to mesa...

- When uprading, always use the following to avoid & solve your problem of kept back packages:
        Code:
        sudo apt full-upgrade
        Hope I could be of help!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

- Yes, Michael actually meant the OEM kernel but incorrectly wrote HWE.

- Don't use the OIBAF PPA if you prefer stability. Use this one instead by Kisak from Valve which provides the latest stable MESA version:

The goal of this PPA is to provide the latest point release of Mesa plus select non-invasive early backports. Deviations from upstream packages are listed on the package details page. --- Support status --- Bionic (18.04) - Discontinued - Long term users can use kisak-mesa stable Focal (20.04) - Supported Jammy (22.04) - Supported Lunar (23.04) - End of Life - Removal after 4 weeks (2024-03-01) Mantic (23.10) - Preliminary support (Not tested locally) Note: Please report any issues to mesa...

- When uprading, always use the following to avoid & solve your problem of kept back packages:
          Code:
          sudo apt full-upgrade
          Hope I could be of help!
          You have been exceedingly helpful, thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
          X