X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
    Ubuntu was my first distro and I recommend it to all people EXCEPT gamers or people with relatively new hardware like < 1 year old....
    For those people I recommend something easy like Manjaro but I'm sure there are other simple rolling releases out there
    My first distros were over 20 years ago so they're not that relevant these days, but that's a fair assessment and those are what I'd recommend due to being more familiar with Pacman and Apt over Dnf. That said, I'm a KDE person and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed offers, IMHO, the most synergistic KDE/Qt desktop since, IIRC, most all their system apps are in Qt and not GTK like Ubuntu or Manjaro.

My first ever flashed distribution sort of exists -- Red Hat. This was way before Fedora, RHEL, Cent, etc. Late 90s Red Hat. My first dip in the water that wasn't Windows or DOS was a mangled trainwreck for my noob self.

Leave a comment:

• cytomax55
    replied
    Ubuntu was my first distro and I recommend it to all people EXCEPT gamers or people with relatively new hardware like < 1 year old....
    For those people I recommend something easy like Manjaro but I'm sure there are other simple rolling releases out there

Leave a comment:

• yossarianuk
    replied
    Again demonstrating why desktop distro's should be at least part rolling..

It would be good for a benchmark between standard Ubuntu 22.04 and PopOS 22.04 (as pop has rolling kernel/mesa/gpu drivers), for intel/AMD GPU users i'm pretty sure PopOS will be ahead

Leave a comment:

• Upgrading Ubuntu 22.04's Kernel & Mesa For Better AMD RDNA2 Performance

Phoronix: Upgrading Ubuntu 22.04's Kernel & Mesa For Better AMD RDNA2 Performance

While Ubuntu 22.04 LTS was just released over one month ago, it is shipping on the Linux 5.15 kernel that was already two stable series behind at release time but chosen as the default due to its long-term support status. Ubuntu 22.04 also shipped with Mesa 22.0 as the latest stable version albeit the open-source OpenGL/Vulkan graphics drivers are quick to advance. So if you've been thinking about upgrading Mesa or the Linux kernel on your Ubuntu 22.04 system for better Linux gaming performance, here are some benchmarks looking at such performance impact for AMD RDNA2 / Radeon RX 6000 series graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X