Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new kms,ttms,dri2 putted to the test with a 200m in jaunty, bugs and impressions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new kms,ttms,dri2 putted to the test with a 200m in jaunty, bugs and impressions.

Ok ppl, i'm posting this in the hope that bridgman, agd5f, arlied, glisse and others (the radeon dev wizards) will read it and help me(us) out.

First, i followed glisse instructions in his blog (http://jglisse.livejournal.com/1822.html) and compiled kernel 2.6.29 with ttm/kms support for radeon from git, mesa with radeon-rewrite from git, drm/ddx with radeon-rewrite from git.

After a little of head banging on the desk, everything was working.

KMS with DRI2 works very well and fast on my 200m. Impressive work indeed.

Now.. for the bugs.

Resume/suspend is broken, because of this bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16537) that resurfaced from the depths of hell :P my desktop gets completely garbled when awakes from sleep (see video attached to bug). This was already a problem with dri1 and stock radeon driver but i got around it using vbetool, and never again remembered of it. well, it showed his ugly head and bitted me :P since vbetool can't work with kms, all rs482 users won't be able to use suspend to sleep till this nasty registers get slapped into obedience.

In the dri2 department, glisse told me i would need a newer xorg (from master) in order to make kde4 work with dri2 in radeon. (doing the compilation as we speak, but xorg is a very hard beast to master), so no kde4 composite (only compiz) till i/we can have a newer xorg server.

Finally the old rgba color bug is back also!!! (which is similar to this one from intel gang https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=19970) although it's not a show stopper, it needs to be fixed, since it screws every bit of transparency in both compiz and kde4 the rgba values get/send wrong values and we have wrong colors/transparency with any kind of true transparency.

well, this are my impressions and bug reports. I can say i'm very impressed and using it as my default settings (it's hard to go back now that i tasted the sweet dri2 life

So, could you devs comment on the bugs and maybe point out to patches (never mind if they are experimental, i'll gladly test them), and all 200m users out there, compile or use fedora 11 (a live cd will suffice) and test your cards

UPDATE 1: Tested a few apps today, google earth works like a charm, a little slow but with this crappy card, even in windows it's slow. world of goo also works very well i forgot to report i recompiled qt 4.5.1 with raster as default, and not only everything works but its much more snappy. Finally i forgot to report that xv is broken (known issue, glisse told me he's aware of that but that its low in his priority list, i hope some other dev fixes it), meanwhile you guys can use gl2 output (works like a charm) for your video pleasures.

that is all!
    Last edited by groo_pcd; 11 May 2009, 06:03 PM.

Reverting 8338385cd94b35f54b25cf2576890159f8dd9f71 in the ddx should fix Xv and other EXA issues.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      Reverting 8338385cd94b35f54b25cf2576890159f8dd9f71 in the ddx should fix Xv and other EXA issues.
      Hi agd5f, could you please explain a little better?

a step by step on how to revert would be nice

best regards and keep up the amazing work.

ps, are you aware of the rgba and suspend bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by groo_pcd View Post
        Hi agd5f, could you please explain a little better?

a step by step on how to revert would be nice
        git revert 8338385cd94b35f54b25cf2576890159f8dd9f71

best regards and keep up the amazing work.

ps, are you aware of the rgba and suspend bugs?
        I saw your bug report regarding suspend/resume. I don't really have any new ideas other than what I already posted in the bug. You might want to try to compare a reg dump in the working and non-working cases. The rgba issue is probably related to the fbconfig setup in the xserver.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          git revert 8338385cd94b35f54b25cf2576890159f8dd9f71

I saw your bug report regarding suspend/resume. I don't really have any new ideas other than what I already posted in the bug. You might want to try to compare a reg dump in the working and non-working cases. The rgba issue is probably related to the fbconfig setup in the xserver.
          How can i change the fbconfig setup so i can pinpoint the problem?

thanks for your answers

Comment

How can i change the fbconfig setup so i can pinpoint the problem?

thanks for your answers
            It's in the glx setup in the xserver. I'm not too familiar with that code myself.

Comment

Working...
            X