RadeonSI Adds EGL Context High Priority Support To Help Wayland Compositors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I think you are missing that Roman tried his best to work with other upstream KWin developers to improve the status of KWin back at the beginning of his funding but met stiff resistance for some of his ideas for more radical changes in the code base. Upstream KWin is catching up only now to tackle some of these deeper underlying problems which Roman pointed out from the beginning of his work, they now duplicate some effort.
    Maybe, but KWin has consistently been more usable through the whole process while KWinFT broke things and has been trying to get into good shape ever since. Which is precisely what the KWin upstream developers wanted to avoid. The hope was that KWinFT would pay off in the long run by having less bugs/maintenance needed, but now it appears we'll never find out if that was going to be the case or not. It certainly hasn't been so far.

Roman talked a good game, but ultimately if this project was going to succeed he had to build a community around it and that just never happened. Because it doesn't really offer end-users much that KWin doesn't at the moment, and he pretty much alienated all the existing upstream devs he should have been trying to woo over instead.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 26 May 2022, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Maybe, but KWin has consistently been more usable through the whole process while KWinFT broke things and has been trying to get into good shape ever since. Which is precisely what the KWin upstream developers wanted to avoid. The hope was that KWinFT would pay off in the long run by having less bugs/maintenance needed, but now it appears we'll never find out if that was going to be the case or not. It certainly hasn't been so far.
      As I've been using the git packages for a long time now, I only faced minor problems (e.g. build breakage due to wlroots changes) which is to be expected from living on the bleeding edge - stability wise, I haven't seen any issues but better latency and even FPS (93 vs 101 FPS in Company of Heroes 2) compared to stock KWin.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Roman talked a good game, but ultimately if this project was going to succeed he had to build a community around it and that just never happened. Because it doesn't really offer end-users much that KWin doesn't at the moment, and he pretty much alienated all the existing upstream devs he should have been trying to woo over instead.
      I agree partly, the adoption rate could have been higher with packages for the major distributions, some community efforts are there on several distros, but this could have been a higher priority if a high adoption was a goal. As it is an experimental project and not neccessarily meant for wide adoption yet, I am not sure if that was or should have been a goal at all. Concerning the relationship with KWin upstream, please don't put the blame on Roman alone as the upstream devs showed him the cold shoulder. If I were the company giving the funds, I would have tried to mediate between both parties to broker a deal as layed out in my past comment - with a perspective to assess if his efforts could be merged back upstream at some future point in time or could serve as the base for a KWin successor. Two seperate projects with diverging code bases was clearly not a goal for the investing company but they could have levereged their funding for both parties to take a more cooperative approach towards each other. After all I assume there are contracts in place and you can enforce specific goals like that through them.

Comment

Originally posted by SethDusek View Post
        The issue with EGL extensions like this is that if someone is writing a Vulkan compositor (like gamescope), they won't be able to do something like this
        Vulkan has something similar at least for compute shaders, gamescope makes use of that AFAIK.

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        As a KDE Plasma and AMD GPU user this is great!

But I wish somthing like this would work on Intel iGPU too.
        Non-ancient Intel iGPUs have supported this extension for years, this is radeonsi catching up to the Intel drivers.

Note that this extension is required, but not sufficient to prevent Wayland compositors from getting slowed down by slow clients. They also need to stop using client buffers with unsignaled fences (my proof of concept for mutter: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1880).

Comment

Working...
        X