Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Developer Starts Poking At Open-Source "RADV" Driver Support For GFX11/RDNA3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
    With compute going to the rocm stack, who is even using AMD's closed or open source driver now? The userbase seems to be people who accidentally installed it instead of the community driver, or who are working around some issue.
    There is no "AMD open source driver" separate from the upstream driver. All we do with our packaged open source drivers is backport them to slower moving enterprise distros that do not pick up from upstream often enough to support newer hardware.

AMD developers and community developers work together in the same upstream code base.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

There is no "AMD open source driver" separate from the upstream driver. All we do with our packaged open source drivers is backport them to slower moving enterprise distros that do not pick up from upstream often enough to support newer hardware.

AMD developers and community developers work together in the same upstream code base.
      I assume he was referring to amdvlk, which doesn't have any community developers or shared upstream codebase.

Also, friendly reminder that we are now sitting at 18 months of no open source ray-tracing support from AMD for any of their hardware. It's a little baffling that AMD figured out how to legally provide accelerated video decode but not RT, especially given the massive influx of cash AMD is now sitting on.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 13 May 2022, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

That's not always feasible internationally. It's difficult for a company to hire you as an employee if it doesn't have a subsidiary that operates in the country you are living in (I'm located in Eastern EU). I appreciate you worrying about me, but honestly, I'm quite happy with it.
        Venemo, Many thanks for your contributions and handling off topic comments with tact and patience.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I assume he was referring to amdvlk, which doesn't have any community developers or shared upstream codebase.

Also, friendly reminder that we are now sitting at 18 months of no open source ray-tracing support from AMD for any of their hardware. It's a little baffling that AMD figured out how to legally provide accelerated video decode but not RT, especially given the massive influx of cash AMD is now sitting on.
          Money != resources, please stop counting the money if you are not an AMD investor.
          Currently is enough information about how RDNA2 RT works and it just needs time to implement properly. If somebody really wants it will be greater to help to code or at least review/test PRs. I mean not only RT PRs.
          PS Personally, I will be happy to join Valve/AMD team to work on the driver but they have no one in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post

Money != resources, please stop counting the money if you are not an AMD investor.
            Huh? Money can be turned into resources. That's it's only function, it doesn't do anything else.

Currently is enough information about how RDNA2 RT works and it just needs time to implement properly. If somebody really wants it will be greater to help to code or at least review/test PRs. I mean not only RT PRs.
            And yet it's 18 months after the hardware was released and we don't have finished working RT support. Does AMD consider that good support by them for their hardware on linux?
            Last edited by smitty3268; 15 May 2022, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I'm sure I've missed something here, but if Radeon Rays is open source, why do we need this? And why would AMD back it?

Comment

Working...
              X