Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Developer Starts Poking At Open-Source "RADV" Driver Support For GFX11/RDNA3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can radv be used on Windows in theory? I.e. may be AMD can drop amdvlk and just help develop radv as well?

From what I've heard, the reason they didn't want to back radv was due to the interest to have a unified code between different OSes. But if it can be used on Windows, it will be good for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Most of us are subcontractors (not employees).
      Oof. Sorry to hear that. I hope they're not one of the bad ones.

For those of y'all who don't know -- subcontractor basically means you get all the pay of a job and, almost usually, none of the perks or benefits that an employee of that company will receive, no way to unionize or engage in collective bargaining, and if you don't read your contract well enough you might sign away enough rights that you end up as "well off" as a worker in a "right to work" state.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Can radv be used on Windows in theory? I.e. may be AMD can drop amdvlk and just help develop radv as well?

From what I've heard, the reason they didn't want to back radv was due to the interest to have a unified code between different OSes. But if it can be used on Windows, it will be good for that.
        That sounds great in theory, but TBH it seems like less work to minimally but officially support RADV and carry on with the current Windows driver.

With compute going to the rocm stack, who is even using AMD's closed or open source driver now? The userbase seems to be people who accidentally installed it instead of the community driver, or who are working around some issue.

Comment

Some progress in that regard has been made recently. The shader IO cleanup, the ACO shader info refactor etc. are all important steps towards this goal.
          Thank you and the other devs for your work! I have a 6800 XT, too, but have not really tried any RT stuff other than Vulkan demos. I look forward to aco+radeonsi if it can improve performance in the many existing OpenGL games.

Comment

Venemo and Co are doing a terrific job. I'm glad that we have them (from community POV). For the moaners amongst us: Just have a look at their commits. Its continiously great work since years. Just let them do their job. They will provide the demanded features once they can. If they can't I highly doubt that anyone else is capable.
            Last edited by CochainComplex; 13 May 2022, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Oof. Sorry to hear that. I hope they're not one of the bad ones.
              Are you kidding? I love this gig. I can work on something interesting that I enjoy. It's vastly better than any of my previous jobs.

Comment

Are you kidding? I love this gig. I can work on something interesting that I enjoy. It's vastly better than any of my previous jobs.
                I've worked horrible gigs, non-tech, in the past and have read a lot of horror stories with the tech gig economy specifically because they know they're hiring you for a job you love (or they simply know that you're desperate for work in regards to a lot of non-tech gigs). The term "sub-contracting" brings me bad memories.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you have a good one and I hope that Valve is a good company to contract from. Your happiness makes it sound like they are.

Still, it does make me sad that folks like yourself aren't hired on as actual employees so y'all can have a long-term careers and can plan for the rest of your lives instead of until your contracts are up. That's what I mean by "Oof. Sorry to hear that."; about how it can be hard to plan long term when gigging.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Still, it does make me sad that folks like yourself aren't hired on as actual employees so y'all can have a long-term careers and can plan for the rest of your lives instead of until your contracts are up. That's what I mean by "Oof. Sorry to hear that."; about how it can be hard to plan long term when gigging.
                  That's not always feasible internationally. It's difficult for a company to hire you as an employee if it doesn't have a subsidiary that operates in the country you are living in (I'm located in Eastern EU). I appreciate you worrying about me, but honestly, I'm quite happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Can radv be used on Windows in theory?
                    No, at least not until somebody implements the kernel interface

Comment

RDNA3 Support in RADV is important! Just look at how many different designs RDNA2 is used.. From smartphone SOCs to custom chips in gaming consoles (they are zen based, but far from an APU) in dedicated cards and in the latest APU generation.

RDNA3 will probably be seen in a similar number of designs, maybe even more. So this support ist really needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X