Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Developer Starts Poking At Open-Source "RADV" Driver Support For GFX11/RDNA3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by obri View Post
    No, it is kinda not off topic. As work goes into actually not buyable cards while the actually used models lack functionality on linux with RADV.
    So it is on one hand good, that the work is made - on the other hand off course it is valid to point out the missing things.
    This article is about GFX11 (and task shaders) enablement, while you are asking about RT which is unrelated to these things. That being said, You can check out the open merge requests for RADV in the Mesa Gitlab and you can see there is ongoing work to improve RT.

Originally posted by Anux View Post
    Yeah its totally offtopic and also really strange to command people (that spend their free time or work time to improve drivers from a totaly different manufacturer) to do things that they might not even have any experience in? Why don't you jump in and do it?
    "Why don't you jump in and do it?" is not a helpful attitude. RT is incredibly complicated and is probably one of the hardest things to jump in without prior knowledge about the technology and the API. Some of my smartest collegaues are working on it. (I'm personally not, because I'm working on mesh and task shaders instead.)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Any news on ACO for radeonsi?
      Some progress in that regard has been made recently. The shader IO cleanup, the ACO shader info refactor etc. are all important steps towards this goal.

Comment

Yeah you're not commanding, you're suggesting it in a totaly unrelated topic. If I where a dev, i woud really be pissed. Would be one thing if this was a rare exeption, but you can basically read such shit under every OS news "why does dev X do Y, I need Z now! Such a waste of time!!!! Do it the right way, my way!!!!111".

Sorry I kind of got hung up by that, I should just chill and mind my own bussines.
        On the other hand, it's not unreasonable for a customer of Valve to say in the most humble way possible: "can you finish X before you move on to Y?" in a topic about Y.

It's not like we're talking about unpaid devs over at the Arch forums. They're volunteers and you try as best as possible to not offer suggestions unless asked.

And here's the double-edged sword of this particular topic -- they're paid employees of Valve. A Valve customer is totally in their right for being curious about features being developed at Valve by Valve's devs and we can't be too upset that they'll ask about anything in a place where Valve devs happen to post and/or read the comments. At the same time, however, they're paid employees of Valve and, like most of us, have managers telling them what their priorities are and even if they wanted to work on Cyberpunk RT features management might have told them to sideline that work and prep for upcoming hardware as best as possible.

Comment

This community really confuses me sometimes.

When you call out a developer for making a driver for something that already has support (while neglecting a driver that needs help), people here will hate you for saying it.
          When you call out a developer for refining a dead platform when his/her skills are prominent enough to help improve modern incomplete drivers, people will hate you for saying it.
          When you call out a developer for applying some obvious patches to a device that is about to be released, suddenly, people are okay with criticism?

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
            "Why don't you jump in and do it?" is not a helpful attitude. RT is incredibly complicated and is probably one of the hardest things to jump in without prior knowledge about the technology and the API.
            That was my point I was trying to make by suggesting to jump in.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            On the other hand, it's not unreasonable for a customer of Valve to say in the most humble way possible: "can you finish X before you move on to Y?" in a topic about Y.
            I remember 2 articles here in the last two weeks about advances in raytracing and Venemo also said they are working on it. Its not like it was abandoned. Should everyone work only on the one single feature that some user finds most important (and which user has the saying?) and those that are not able to work on it should just go on vacation?

OT: Does the steam console support raytracing (it's RDNA2 so it might be in there) and if so, does it have enough power to make use of that feature?

Originally I just wanted to write something about release day OS support getting closer to reality, yehaa.

Comment

I remember 2 articles here in the last two weeks about advances in raytracing and Venemo also said they are working on it. Its not like it was abandoned. Should everyone work only on the one single feature that some user finds most important (and which user has the saying?) and those that are not able to work on it should just go on vacation?
              Fair enough. Asking and being told from the best unofficial sources possible should warrant a good STFU for a month or two. I get it now.

It's not like I read the comment section of every article nor remember who said what.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                And here's the double-edged sword of this particular topic -- they're paid employees of Valve.
                Most of us are subcontractors (not employees).

OT: Does the steam console support raytracing (it's RDNA2 so it might be in there)
                The Steam Deck has an RDNA2 GPU, the hardware indeed has the necessary features for RT, mesh shading etc.

Comment

Yeah you're not commanding, you're suggesting it in a totaly unrelated topic. If I where a dev, i woud really be pissed.
                  If you are pissed, if someone politely points out what he wishes to have, that is surely your problem.
                  Would be one thing if this was a rare exeption, but you can basically read such shit under every OS news "why does dev X do Y, I need Z now! Such a waste of time!!!! Do it the right way, my way!!!!111".

Sorry I kind of got hung up by that, I should just chill and mind my own bussines.
                  I did not write something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

This article is about GFX11 (and task shaders) enablement, while you are asking about RT which is unrelated to these things. That being said, You can check out the open merge requests for RADV in the Mesa Gitlab and you can see there is ongoing work to improve RT.
                    Maybe my fault to see RADV more as "one piece of thing".
                    I did not want to blame someone.
                    It is just so, that I really hope to get the RT features in RADV to use all things my card is capable of. It is hard to judge how much effort goes in this and how long it may take.

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
                      I really hope to get the RT features in RADV to use all things my card is capable of.
                      RT is already usable with some games, but not all. We don't have CP2077 RT yet, but it's a work in progress.

Comment

Working...
                      X