Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Posts Linux Driver Patches For New "VCN 4.0" IP Block

Phoronix: AMD Posts Linux Driver Patches For New "VCN 4.0" IP Block

After last week AMD began posting the "GFX11" patches for RDNA3, today AMD published a set of patches enabling the VCN 4.0 IP block for next-generation video encode/decode capabilities...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...CN-4.0-Patches

Let's hope this finally has improved encoding quality, doesn't cripple any of the other codecs to make room for AV1, and adds 4:4:4 encode...

...otherwise Intel will put AMD to shame...

Comment

Well, I hope this time they really increase the limits to 8K, 4K @ 120 FPS or more.
      HDR support too, with an API that allows video players or media centers to send HDR metadata of videos to the connected monitors / TVs over both DisplayPort and HDMI.
      Come on AMD this works with your GPUs even on Windows 7 (with MPC-HC+MadVr) and on Linux still nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        HDR support too, with an API that allows video players or media centers to send HDR metadata of videos to the connected monitors / TVs over both DisplayPort and HDMI.
        Come on AMD this works with your GPUs even on Windows 7 (with MPC-HC+MadVr) and on Linux still nothing.
        Support for HDR in the KMS API and in desktop environments is still in very active discussions regardless of vendor. There are a number of in progress RFCs. All of that needs to be nailed down before an application can take advantage of HDR. It works on windows because MS provides a spec and framework for vendors and applications to tie into.
        Last edited by agd5f; 02 May 2022, 03:53 PM.

Comment

>The AV1 decode is limited to 8K and lower.

The AV1 format doesn't support more than 8K, at least with any currently defined level.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
            >The AV1 decode is limited to 8K and lower.

The AV1 format doesn't support more than 8K, at least with any currently defined level.
            That is a weird line and I came here to talk about it. Wow, what a limit, and specifying frame rate, color space, bits per channel, etc. would be nice to know. But it has always been hard to find information about VCN.

I know that H.266 defines 16K support, and AV1 level 6.3 is 8K 120 FPS. Does AV1 even need to explicitly define a level to allow for higher resolutions? 16K AVIF is possible.

Whatever the case, almost nobody needs 16K and it will probably be in AV2.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
              I know that H.266 defines 16K support, and AV1 level 6.3 is 8K 120 FPS. Does AV1 even need to explicitly define a level to allow for higher resolutions? 16K AVIF is possible.
              The encoder is capable of frame sizes from 8 x 8 pixels to 65535 x 65535, its just not defined in a "level" but if needed a new level is easily added.

Comment

"IP block" I guess they don't mean internet protocol addresses?

Comment

Originally posted by Hafting View Post
                  "IP block" I guess they don't mean internet protocol addresses?
                  Wikipedia: Semiconductor intellectual property core (also known as IP core, or IP block)

Comment

Working...
                  X