AMD Radeon RX 6400 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Any idea how this would fare against a RX 560 4 Gb?
    So far my rx 6400 beats my rx 570 on everything I've thrown at it. They're pretty close on OpenGL loads but the 6400 runs away from it in Vulcan. The rx 570 system is a 2400g in a X370 motherboard while the rx 6400 system is a 5700g in a B450 (PCIE 3).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Hah see my original post.
      Yeah, but it begs to be repeated. This GPU reminds me of the old quote, "Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more."

Comment

What a piece of crap.

Comment

The Radeon RX 6400 features 12 compute units, 12 ray accelerators
          Cut that crap out and give us AV1 decode and a lower price and then you've really got something that the damn cryptominers don't want, and real consumers do.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Should be quite a bit faster - midway between a 560 and 570 IIRC.
            can we have a AMD Radeon RX 6550

with AV1 decode ?
            also with the new 18 Gbps ram ? or does it have it already ?

according to geizhals.de it already have it... but all other RX6000 cards not.
            maybe we get that with the 6650XT and 6750XT and 6900XT...

it is possible to push the TDP/TGP higher than the 107 watt?
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Cut that crap out and give us AV1 decode and a lower price and then you've really got something that the damn cryptominers don't want, and real consumers do.
              its sad that mostly incompetent people buy such cards because this feature "12 ray accelerators" is complete pointless for a card like this

what raytracing game runs playable on this card ?

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

its sad that mostly incompetent people buy such cards because this feature "12 ray accelerators" is complete pointless for a card like this

what raytracing game runs playable on this card ?
                What? Ray tracing?!

Who makes the decisions for these cards?
                What's more interesting? Hardware-accelerated AV1 decode or 10fps ray traced game?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What? Ray tracing?!

Who makes the decisions for these cards?
                  What's more interesting? Hardware-accelerated AV1 decode or 10fps ray traced game?
                  AFAIK, AMD's RDNA2 features compute units with in-built hardware logic to accelerate ray-tracing, which is also the reason why the numbers of CUs always equals the number of ray-accelerators.

Thus ray-tracing capability is basically just a byproduct on this RX 6400...

Comment

Looks like a good upgrade from the GTX 1050 Ti, which is one of the low-profile cards I've used in recent years.

I do wish they made a passively-cooled version of this, even if the TDP had to be restricted further. That's one thing I loved about the HD 5450.

...speaking of which, I already replaced my HD 5450 with a RX 550 (Polaris 2nd gen with 8 CU; 512 shaders). I'd have been interested to see it in the comparisons, but I really don't use it anywhere that I care about performance.

Interesting thought: what if this gets employed as the GPU chiplet in Ryzen 7000 processors? With its Infinity Cache and DDR5, iGPU performance could meaningfully scale beyond anything we've seen to date.

Comment

Right when I thought this GPU couldn't get any worse,
                      The RX 6400 is supposed to be primarily an OEM variant of the RX 6500XT.

It's overkill for office purposes.
                      Maybe, but it doesn't make any sense to have a dGPU that's any less powerful than this. I think its main market is for non-gaming use in systems that lack an iGPU.

It can also serve as a first step up for those currently using an iGPU, but I'd say it's only very compelling if they have an older iGPU.

Comment

Working...
                      X