No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 6400 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it's easy to hate on this little GPU but there are some positive things about it:
    • Low power, I added one of these to my TP01-2066 (I bought it because I could get a 5700g processor in early may 2021 for $550 and almost a computer around it) and the net increase in wattage, according to my Kill-o-watt, is about 15 watts running something like Gravity Mark vs the integrated 5700g.
    • Quiet, I got the full height Power Color card for $159 (which is a lot of money but it was MSRP) and the measly 53 watt maximum power usage doesn't need much cooling and crazy fans.
    • Huge increase in performance, well compared to the integrated 5700g on my pathetic HP prebuilt, it runs everything about three times faster than the 5700g (see the Xonotic results above).
    • No additional power, my miserable HP only came with a 180 watt power supply and no PCI cabling. I could have bought a 300 watt HP power supply but they are stupid expensive and wasting money on a cheesy, proprietary prebuilt is indeed a waste.
    All in all, I'm delighted with my RX 6400, I got it before Amazon started gouging (they want an extra $10 now), it plays nicely with the vega 8 on the 5700g so I can still use the GPU on the 5700g if I want to play something light like Wolfenstein 2009 or Singularity by setting an environment variable. It truly is a huge increase in performance over my 5700g and so far it's faster than my RX 570 in my Raven Ridge rig, it beats the RX 570 in Gravitymark, Unigine Valley, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Unigine Superposition.

So for $160, I got a video card that uses 1/3 the power of my RX 570, fits in my crappy prebuilt, is quiet and uses very little power and will probably see boosts in performance as improvements come. It's a big win in my book.
    Last edited by gukin; 29 April 2022, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
      I know it's easy to hate on this little GPU but there are some positive things about it:
      • Low power, I added one of these to my TP01-2066 (I bought it because I could get a 5700g processor in early may 2021 for $550 and almost a computer around it) and the net increase in wattage, according to my Kill-o-watt, is about 15 watts running something like Gravity Mark vs the integrated 5700g.
      • Quiet, I got the full height Power Color card for $159 (which is a lot of money but it was MSRP) and the measly 53 watt maximum power usage doesn't need much cooling and crazy fans.
      • Huge increase in performance, well compared to the integrated 5700g on my pathetic HP prebuilt, it runs everything about three times faster than the 5700g (see the Xonotic results above).
      • No additional power, my miserable HP only came with a 180 watt power supply and no PCI cabling. I could have bought a 300 watt HP power supply but they are stupid expensive and wasting money on a cheesy, proprietary prebuilt is indeed a waste.
      All in all, I'm delighted with my 6400g, I got it before Amazon started gouging (they want an extra $10 now), it plays nicely with the vega 8 on the 5700g so I can still use the GPU on the 5700g if I want to play something light like Wolfenstein 2009 or Singularity by setting an environment variable. It truly is a huge increase in performance over my 5700g and so far it's faster than my RX 570 in my Raven Ridge rig, it beats the RX 570 in Gravitymark, Unigine Valley, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Unigine Superposition.

So for $160, I got a video card that uses 1/3 the power of my RX 570, fits in my crappy prebuilt, is quiet and uses very little power and will probably see boosts in performance as improvements come. It's a big win in my book.
      People would not complain about this or the 6500XT if AMD did any one of the following:
      • Allowed it to be x16 lanes, or at least x8
      • Gave it at least 6GB of VRAM
      • Sold it for $120 or less
      It would have been a solid GPU if they did any one of those things. But as it is, it's not worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post
        I'm mostly interested in how this compares to the Vega graphics of my 5700G. I'm moderately happy with my integrated graphics, but am I getting an upgrade if I buy one of these?

Well, sorry, I overlooked that the comparison with 5700G is included. My bad.
        I'm better off waiting for the 6600 to reach a reasonable price.
        Considering the RX 6600 is more than twice the price of the 6400 which is pretty close to MSRP, I'd say your wait is close to over.

If you're constrained like I am: proprietary system, tiny power supply and don't want to invest much in AM4 technology then the 6400 makes sense. If you're just looking for a small boost like doubling or tripling your frame rates from your 5700g and would be satisfied with that, the 6400 makes a little more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
          It truly is a huge increase in performance over my 5700g and so far it's faster than my RX 570 in my Raven Ridge rig, it beats the RX 570 in Gravitymark, Unigine Valley, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Unigine Superposition.

Oh wow it might actually be a worthy upgrade compared to my 300W R9 Fury

I would have been extremely interested in that card had it had video encoding capabilities. I need a low-profile card for my jellyfin server, and the WX4100 I put inside is anemic, barely able to encode a single full-hd video stream at once.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            People would not complain about this or the 6500XT if AMD did any one of the following:
            It would have been a solid GPU if they did any one of those things. But as it is, it's not worth the money.
            Don't forget AV1 decode. For the price, we should at least get that.

Comment

Miners would not complain about this or the 6500XT if AMD did any one of the following:
              FTFY.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                Don't forget AV1 decode. For the price, we should at least get that.
                Hah see my original post.

Comment

Right when I thought this GPU couldn't get any worse, I didn't realize that they disabled AV1. The limited PCIe lanes in combination with the low amount of VRAM makes this GPU is useless for modern gaming, and it's way too expensive for older games. It's overkill for office purposes. AV1 decode would have been the one redeeming quality, and they disabled it? Anyone who has an HTPC that doesn't have an iGPU [capable of AV1 decode] would be looking for a dGPU to pick up the slack, especially since you're going to want an efficient CPU for the sake of noise, size, and power consumption. I wouldn't think you'd need anything more powerful than a 6400 to play videos, but, apparently you're going to have to if you want full decoding capabilities.
                  I totally agree. Without hardware-accelerated AV1 decoding, this card is essentially worthless except for some basic tasks.
                  It just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Any idea how this would fare against a RX 560 4 Gb?

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                      Any idea how this would fare against a RX 560 4 Gb?
                      Should be quite a bit faster - midway between a 560 and 570 IIRC.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X