Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon RX 6400 On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Radeon RX 6400 On Linux

Last week AMD quietly launched the Radeon RX 6400 series as the new low-end RDNA2 graphics. With Radeon RX 6400 there are finally low-profile, single-slot PCIe RDNA2 graphics cards whether they be for 2U servers, mini ITX builds, or other interesting use-cases. Up for testing today is an XFX Radeon RX 6400 4GB low-profile graphics card for Linux benchmarking.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have one of those HD5450 in low profile, passive cooling form. In games it is weaker than the iGPU of my Ivy Bridge i7.

Since my RX570 died at the start of the pandemic, I grabbed a RX550 just at the start of the prices crazy and am stuck with it for 2 years now. I'm torn in expending money while the prices are still double to triple what they should be, in my neck of the woods, in one of those lower end Radeon offerings, because they would be a sideways move on GPU power over what I had a couple years ago. The one I eyeing now is the RX 6600, but it is still double of what I would consider a reasonable price here. So I stuck with indie games and waiting for the day I can finally finish a couple AAA games I bought years ago, before I decided to no more spend money to be beta tester for those things.

Comment

Yeah, I'm still using my 580 and try to run settings that keep the temps at 75C or lower. It likes to get a little wonky once it hits the mid 80s. Mangohud is a blessing in disguise for that task.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I saw an RX 6700 for like $519 the other day and thought "that's not a bad price" when comparing it to the $450-500 6600XTs for sale. My only real requirements are "at least 8GB" and "better than RX 590". I surprised that's still a $450 solution.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I can't believe I'm saying this, but I saw an RX 6700 for like $519 the other day and thought "that's not a bad price" when comparing it to the $450-500 6600XTs for sale.
        I caught myself doing the same thing, when I saw a slightly drop in price on some RX 6600. Gladly I slapped myself out of it.

Comment

Right when I thought this GPU couldn't get any worse, I didn't realize that they disabled AV1. The limited PCIe lanes in combination with the low amount of VRAM makes this GPU is useless for modern gaming, and it's way too expensive for older games. It's overkill for office purposes. AV1 decode would have been the one redeeming quality, and they disabled it? Anyone who has an HTPC that doesn't have an iGPU [capable of AV1 decode] would be looking for a dGPU to pick up the slack, especially since you're going to want an efficient CPU for the sake of noise, size, and power consumption. I wouldn't think you'd need anything more powerful than a 6400 to play videos, but, apparently you're going to have to if you want full decoding capabilities.
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 28 April 2022, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Right when I thought this GPU couldn't get any worse, I didn't realize that they disabled AV1. The limited PCIe lanes in combination with the low amount of VRAM makes this GPU is useless for modern gaming, and it's way too expensive for older games. It's overkill for office purposes. AV1 decode would have been the one redeeming quality, and they disabled it? Anyone who has an HTPC that doesn't have an iGPU [capable of AV1 decode] would be looking for a dGPU to pick up the slack, especially since you're going to want an efficient CPU for the sake of noise, size, and power consumption. I wouldn't think you'd need anything more powerful than a 6400 to play videos, but, apparently you're going to have to if you want full decoding capabilities.
            Is nitpicking, but I think they didn't disabled it, but didn't built it in. Since this is a laptop chip, the encoding and decoding stuff is built in the APU itself, for power efficiency. The h264/5 decoder it have is probably only for in game video decoding.

Comment

If it had AV1 decode and half the price tag it would have been an awesome card.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'm mostly interested in how this compares to the Vega graphics of my 5700G. I'm moderately happy with my integrated graphics, but am I getting an upgrade if I buy one of these?

Well, sorry, I overlooked that the comparison with 5700G is included. My bad.
                I'm better off waiting for the 6600 to reach a reasonable price.
                Last edited by SWY1985; 28 April 2022, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Michael , what was your experience with the fan noise?

For two 4k screens you need a 4GB card, even for just desktop usage. Right now it seems like this is one of the cheapest such cards (there is exactly one gt730 and one rx550 listed as cheaper on pcpartpicker). So right now it is perhaps the best option if you need a card for high-end desktop usage, and you do not have igpu that is up to the task. The additional 3D punch, compared to rx550, is just a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post
                    I'm mostly interested in how this compares to the Vega graphics of my 5700G. I'm moderately happy with my integrated graphics, but am I getting an upgrade if I buy one of these?
                    The addiction to only reading the name of the article is affecting you big time. is time to stop...
                    Last edited by M@GOid; 28 April 2022, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X