RADV Exploring "A Driver On The GPU" In Moving More Vulkan Tasks To The GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Exploring "A Driver On The GPU" In Moving More Vulkan Tasks To The GPU

Phoronix: RADV Exploring "A Driver On The GPU" In Moving More Vulkan Tasks To The GPU

In order to fully support Direct3D Indirect Drawing for allowing more rendering tasks to be moved from the CPU to the GPU, the open-source RADV Radeon Vulkan driver is working on experimental code for effectively hosting "a driver on the GPU."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if this also has anything to do with the recent discussions about the limitations of Linux's implicit sync model for GPU drivers?

AFAIR, nVidia already exposes a custom vendor extension for indirect execution in their Linux Vulkan driver.

Any comments from knowledgeable GPU hackers appreciated! (You know who you are... )

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
      I wonder if this also has anything to do with the recent discussions about the limitations of Linux's implicit sync model for GPU drivers?
      No, that is seeing unrelated work, which probably deserves its own blog post.

Comment

Is this conceptually similar to what Microsoft does on the Xbox Series S/X with the GPU's command processor in order to offload more D3D12 commands? IIRC Microsoft spun their own GPU firmware to make this work.
        Last edited by kiffmet; 26 April 2022, 08:17 AM.

Comment

From what I see, I think this will be similar to Ubershaders by Dolphin Emulator (which its write up is one of the most fun to read through).
          When you're playing your favorite game on Dolphin with a powerful computer, things should run fairly well. The game is running full speed, there are no graphical glitches, and you can use your favorite controller if you want. Yet, every time you go to a new area, or load a new effect, there's a very slight but noticeable "stutter." You turn off the framelimiter to check and your computer can run the game at well over full speed. What's going on? The slowdown when loading new areas, effects, models, and more is commonly referred to as "Shader Compilation Stuttering," by users and developers alike. This problem has been a part of Dolphin since the very beginning, but has only recently become more of a focus.

Comment

What exactly are they offloading to the GPU? It would be cool if part of the shaders' compilation could be using GPU itself

After all it's not too different from a compilation for the CPU using the CPU (besides all the GPU SIMD focus and specialization of course).
            Last edited by shmerl; 25 April 2022, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Are you planning to fully support VK_NV_device_generated_commands then, or would it be easier to create a new MESA extension that's more tailored to the AMD hardware and what proton needs?

Comment

Originally posted by BNieuwenhuizen View Post

No, that is seeing unrelated work, which probably deserves its own blog post.
                Thanks for answering!

However, there's one more question I have after reading this on Your blog:

This functionality happens to be a subset of VK_NV_device_generated_commands and hence I’ve been working on implementing a subset of that extension on radv. Unfortunately, we can’t really give the firmware a “extended indirect draw call” and execute stuff, so we’re stuck generating command buffers on the GPU.
                Do You have any idea how nVidia implemented this extension on their driver?
                Shouldn't they also face the same issues You are encountering?
                Or is there a fundamental difference in hardware capabilities?
                (I'm guessing not because Xbox Series seems to handle ExecuteIndirect with RDNA2 just fine, so why are these problems occuring on Linux?)

Thanks for any answer in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

AFAIR, nVidia already exposes a custom vendor extension for indirect execution in their Linux Vulkan driver.

Any comments from knowledgeable GPU hackers appreciated! (You know who you are... )
                  I would love to know more about this topic, and also the pros and cons of implicit vs explicit sync model. AFAIK it's not a limit sync model, but a Wayland sync model, but that's as far as I could read on the internet. I can't find more info. Do you know where could I read more about this?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    What exactly are they offloading to the GPU?
                    Most current applications generate a command buffer on the CPU, and then ask the GPU to execute that. A command buffer is basically a list of draws, copies, dispatches etc. which is executed by the GPU's command processor.

This new feature Bas is working on, makes it possible for applications to generate a command buffer on the GPU, and then executing that on the GPU without CPU intervention.

The main difficulty here is that these command buffers are more difficult to debug and analyze.

It would be cool if part of the shaders' compilation could be using GPU itself
                    That is not actually feasible. GPUs are not really geared towards this kind of work.

After all it's not too different from a compilation for the CPU using the CPU (besides all the GPU SIMD focus and specialization of course).
                    It's very different.

Comment

Working...
                    X