No announcement yet.

Random freeze and lockups with ati-6.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to install the xorg devel packages for your distro.

Comment

I'm using Fedora 10, and it looks like I have both installed, the utilities and the macros, I'm running x86_64, and only have those packages installed for x86_64, should I need the i386 versions as well? (logic says no, but in practice, I've seen programs say otherwise)

Comment

probably need the xinerama-proto package or something like that.

Comment

I don't get it... I pretty much installed all the pertinent development packages, but still I get the very same message when trying to configure the driver for building it. Maybe is a pkg-config conflict or something to that end?

Edit

I have these two macro files for aclocal:

/usr/share/aclocal/xorg-macros.m4
          /usr/share/aclocal/xorgversion.m4

The macros file does not include any of the macros the configure script makes reference to.
          Last edited by Thetargos; 09 May 2009, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Do you have xorg-x11-util-macros ?

Until different distros standardize on package names, there isn't much alternative to the build / google / read / load / build / google / read / load / build / google / read / load... cycle.
            Test signature

Comment

Yes xorg-x11-util-macros actually only installs those two macro files I posted earlier.

I may have been missing the server-devel package, but still I'm getting the same error. The package xorg-x11-server-devel does include an aclocal/xorg-server.m4 file, which DOES include the XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT definition:

Code:
              cat /usr/share/aclocal/xorg-server.m4 | grep XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT
              # XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT()
              AC_DEFUN([XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT]
              Despite now having that macro defined, I still get the same message, regarding ./configure.

Comment

I was able to finally build the drivers, I had to compile a git check-out of libdrm and when pointing the driver to the location of this libdrm, it then built. Sorry for the inconvenience, and am now in the process of testing the drivers.

Comment

Ok, testing the new drives, I can tell that they seem a bit faster on the 2D side, but lack a LOT on the 3D side (if 6.10 were slow as such, these are much slower), I cannot have a composited desktop (metacity's compositor) as the gnome-terminal is rendered useless, and compiz while it does apparently start, I can only see a white screen. OpenGL programs run much, much slower (such as glxgears or some games), however the perceived speed rendering of 2D and movies seems indeed to be faster (there is no longer tear in video-files)

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                    Ok, testing the new drives, I can tell that they seem a bit faster on the 2D side, but lack a LOT on the 3D side (if 6.10 were slow as such, these are much slower), I cannot have a composited desktop (metacity's compositor) as the gnome-terminal is rendered useless, and compiz while it does apparently start, I can only see a white screen. OpenGL programs run much, much slower (such as glxgears or some games), however the perceived speed rendering of 2D and movies seems indeed to be faster (there is no longer tear in video-files)
                    Are you sure 3D is enabled properly? xf86-video-ati does not provide 3D acceleration. There is a separate mesa driver for 3D.

Comment

Ah, that explains it. I'll have to install a new Mesa snapshot. Currently I'm running 7.2, and current snapshot is 7.5 IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                      X