Ubuntu packages for radeon-rewrite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in RS690

Hi, just installed latest ati/radeon driver, libdrm2, Karmic kernel (linux generic 2.6.30-5 amd64 package from karmic repos, didn't compile) and radeon-rewrite from the ppa's. But after all of this, there are still problems. The problem I used to have with the stable ati/radeon driver is that when compiz is enabled and glxgears running, when I move the glxgears window, a bitmap image-like (like a photograph) stands in the last place glxgears window was, and it remains there until some other window or object is rendered on the screen in that same place. In playing videos there is a improvement in performance but for example playing in zsnes, it slows down every 30 secs aproximately, but is still playable (it wasn't playable with the stable release), but fglrx 8.593 has by far better performance being used on intrepid.
    I use ubuntu jaunty, on a Toshiba a215 laptop, Video ATI Radeon x1200 (RS690). 2 Gb Ram.
    An offtopic question: Is planned to give TV Out support for this chipset in the near future? (with this latest driver I still don't have TV Out (S-Video) support)

Comment

AFAIK if you're running the Karmic kernel and the latest radeon driver from master you're going to be running the radeon-rewrite tree in "legacy" mode (ie no DRI2, KMS or GEM/TTM). In that case you're really testing to look for breakage and regressions, although there are some bug fixes there as well.

If you want different behaviour under Compiz, for example, you need a drm with KMS and GEM/TTM *and* a different radeon driver which has been modified to work with KMS and GEM/TTM. I believe the packages tormod linked to are the "latest and greatest" for the current code paths, not KMS/GEM/TTM/DRI2/etc...

Are you expecting to test the "current drm" code paths of radeon-rewrite looking for regressions and bug fixes or are you trying for the "brave new world" with DRI2, KMS etc... ? Tormod was suggesting that the first option be tested, and that's what I think you are doing now.
      Last edited by bridgman; 18 May 2009, 08:00 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

ok but

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        AFAIK if you're running the Karmic kernel and the latest radeon driver from master you're going to be running the radeon-rewrite tree in "legacy" mode (ie no DRI2, KMS or GEM/TTM).
        Ok, but can someone give some clues about how to enable KMS on the karmic kernel, I don't know if this is a silly question but I don't know how to do it (I was trying to compile but never found the KMS option in the karmic kernel source) where is it?, if it exists of course... mmm or I have to regenerate the initramfs, but how?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellvc View Post
          Ok, but can someone give some clues about how to enable KMS on the karmic kernel, I don't know if this is a silly question but I don't know how to do it (I was trying to compile but never found the KMS option in the karmic kernel source) where is it?, if it exists of course... mmm or I have to regenerate the initramfs, but how?
          KMS for radeon isn't in 2.6.30. It will hopefully make to 2.6.31 if not much problem coming before commit window closes for it. If you want KMs forradeon you have 3 options. Try to use kernel/libdrm from Fedora 11, http://jglisse.livejournal.com/ or a bit older code from arlied's git repository.

Comment

Thanks, latest packages work without no error.

Anyway, I know get ~900 in glxgears, I added the 3 PPAs, and updated to the latest libdrm, mesa, xorg.

But there are slight screen artifacts, should I file a bug report?

also, are there any xorg.conf options to enable?

Comment

I just merged radeon-rewrite with karmic's mesa 7.6 on xorg-edgers as well

Comment

Since so many ubuntu devs are here I'll ask a question

AFAIK chances are quite big that kms/gem for radeon will enter the 2.6.31 kernel....

If this happens will ubuntu consider the move from 2.6.30 to 2.6.31 for karmic to bring this goodness to radeon users ?

Comment

They're going to discuss that at UDS, we'll find out in the next few weeks what kernel they decide on. Hopefully they pull an intrepid instead of locking onto a 4 month old kernel again like in jaunty, especially with so much graphic development being moved into the kernel.

Last edited by Sarvatt; 23 May 2009, 09:07 AM.

Comment

It's 5 months until Ubuntu 9.10 and Linux 2.6.30 is close to release already. I do not see a reason not to include Linux 2.6.31. My only fear is what GEM/KMS/DRI2 is too late for Linux 2.6.31 development window... let's hope that it'll make it!

Comment

Originally posted by rob2687 View Post
                      The artifacts appear all over the place in GDM and X. The console has no artifacts.

GPU: x1900XTX
                      Distro: Ubuntu 9.04
                      I followed the instructions posted by JGlisse. (http://jglisse.livejournal.com/1822.html)

Where can I get that wallpaper?

Comment

Working...
                      X