Ubuntu packages for radeon-rewrite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
    Everything works fine, except e.g: glxgears. I get them going and my FPS is "good" (for the OSS driver) but when I move the window the old gl contents remain as if an image (compiz effects are on in gnome).
    You don't have KMS/DRI2 enabled so you don't get benefities of redirected rendering.
    Originally posted by Almindor View Post
    Also, how can I know if KMS and DRI2 are used? Do I need a different kernel source to build from?
    You have to change 1 or 2 settings in your config to enable KMS. You can found it from drm extra settings for radeon module. But to get it realy work you will need to compile development version of kernel from http://jglisse.livejournal.com/1822.html KMS for radeon is still under heavy development so Ubuntu Karmic won't have it enabled in kernel.

Comment

Sorry if this is obvious but I have to ask:
      My laptop has the (painfully slow) 200M.

I have Jaunty.

Which packages do I need to install from the 3 PPAs listed if I don't want to change the kernel? And what about the packages if I do?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
        Sorry if this is obvious but I have to ask:
        My laptop has the (painfully slow) 200M.

I have Jaunty.

Which packages do I need to install from the 3 PPAs listed if I don't want to change the kernel? And what about the packages if I do?

Thanks!
        You should just need the mesa package for the radeon-rewrite branch of mesa.

Comment

I get lots of artefacts all over the place. The performance is quite nice though.
          TBH the performance of the old drivers makes me nauseous with all that tearing, lag and what not. The interface just doesn't feel right like that.
          Last edited by rob2687; 16 May 2009, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I looked through your previous posts but there's not enough context to help much. Which GPU, X driver, DRM, distro etc ? When do the artifacts appear, ie what operations cause them to appear ? Are they specific to the area of the screen being drawn or all over the screen ? Do they accumulate over time ? Do they get over-written over time ? etc...
            Test signature

Comment

The artifacts appear all over the place in GDM and X. The console has no artifacts.

GPU: x1900XTX
              Distro: Ubuntu 9.04
              I followed the instructions posted by JGlisse. (http://jglisse.livejournal.com/1822.html)

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                You should just need the mesa package for the radeon-rewrite branch of mesa.
                I dont need an updated libdrm(2?) or -ati driver?

Comment

I dont need an updated libdrm(2?) or -ati driver?
                  If you want to test the radeon-rewrite branch, you just need to install the packages from the radeon-rewrite PPA. But you can also update the driver and libdrm and what not from the other repositories if you want.

Leaving the rest as it is and just replacing the mesa packages is good for checking for regressions in radeon-rewrite. However the developers often would like you to run the latest versions of everything in case some issues are fixed already other places.

BTW, none of the mentioned PPAs depend on a newer kernel, but I would recommend using the latest Karmic kernel. It installs next to the old one, so there is no problem going back or switching between them.
                  Last edited by tormod; 17 May 2009, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Hmm..
                    I get a drmCommand -22 error (I cannot remember the exact name )

Any ideas?

Comment

Hmm..
                      I get a drmCommand -22 error (I cannot remember the exact name )

Any ideas?
                      Probably "drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -22", and caused by a bug recently introduced in the code. It should be worked around in yesterday's -3 packages.

Edit: This has now been fixed.
                      Last edited by tormod; 18 May 2009, 01:55 PM. Reason: fixed

Comment

Working...
                      X