X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    You don't need mjpeg to trigger it, just have two videos being hardware decoded at the same time (h264, h265, vp9, doesn't matter, as long as vcn is being used to decode them), after a few minutes the driver will crash.
    Ah, that sounds much more reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    Niiice! A bug has been open about this on the Mesa gitlab for months now, and it didn't seem like there was any activity in regards to fixing it. Well, here's the fix now. Will check after work on my 5600G (green sardine)

You don't need mjpeg to trigger it, just have two videos being hardware decoded at the same time (h264, h265, vp9, doesn't matter, as long as vcn is being used to decode them), after a few minutes the driver will crash.
    Last edited by Gusar; 13 April 2022, 04:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Can I ask what you're using MJPEG decoding for? I've always been curious why gpus even support it.
    I don't know about OP's use, but I have cheap dongles that record 4k60fps through usb3, the stream is MJPEG. So maybe that's a use.

Leave a comment:

• mackal
    replied
    Hmm, I wonder if this is the issue I have occasionally that I've been too lazy to debug. Anyone know of a site (or sites) I can visit to see if I recreate it before trying the fixes :P

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post

Did you open a bug report about your hang? And if yes, nobody did anything about this after 3 years?
    I'm surprised that version even works on modern kernels.
    I've heard this was already reported (and then Mesa 19.3 claimed to fix the hang).
    I tried Mesa 19.3.3 out in 2020, but the hang still reproduced.

I also attempted to bisect the issue but failed...

Leave a comment:

• user1
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    These hangs are why I am still using Mesa 19.0.
    I have little time to upgrade and test...
    Did you open a bug report about your hang? And if yes, nobody did anything about this after 3 years?
    I'm surprised that version even works on modern kernels.
    Last edited by user1; 11 April 2022, 04:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Can I ask what you're using MJPEG decoding for? I've always been curious why gpus even support it.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied

(Not a user of MJPEG by the way, but I mean my card would hang when doing hardware-avcelerated HEVC encoding on Mesa 19.1+)
    Last edited by tildearrow; 11 April 2022, 03:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Updated AMDGPU Firmware Published To Deal With A Possible VCN Hang

Phoronix: Updated AMDGPU Firmware Published To Deal With A Possible VCN Hang

In addition to the AMD Zen 1/2/3 updated CPU microcode and long-awaited NVIDIA Ampere GPU signed firmware being merged today into linux-firmware.git, new AMD graphics firmware was also merged this morning for dealing with a hang with the VCN block under certain situations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X