No announcement yet.

Some Older AMD GPUs + Intel Alder Lake Is Causing ASPM Problems For Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Older AMD GPUs + Intel Alder Lake Is Causing ASPM Problems For Linux Users

Phoronix: Some Older AMD GPUs + Intel Alder Lake Is Causing ASPM Problems For Linux Users

Older AMD GPUs paired with Intel Alder Lake Platforms is leading to hangs during suspend/resume cycles so a patch is pending for the Linux kernel to disable Active State Power Management (ASPM) in such combinations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel hardware having issues with AMD hardware. What a coincidence!

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Intel hardware having issues with AMD hardware. What a coincidence!
      Yeah, it's not like AMD hardware doesn't have issues with AMD hardware.

Comment

One of my colleagues gave up on AMD after his Polaris GC and Ryzen 1 did never work on suspend or cored during video playback with low frame rates. All this stuff worked at some point, than it never did again. For about a year he was frequently checking the latest build, hoping for improvement, but well never happened. Now he is waiting for a dedicated Intel GC, hoping all get better again. Than lucky AMD GC user here under Linux. Though RX 5700 generation, and not so happy about the missing ROC support, until recently.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
          Yeah, it's not like AMD hardware doesn't have issues with AMD hardware.
          Yeah, on my machine with an AMD APU I can crash the amdgpu driver just by watching 2 videos using hardware video decoding.

Comment

Yes, perhaps they should just write the code better, as amdgpu crash a lot when nearly idling on Vega too.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

Yeah, on my machine with an AMD APU I can crash the amdgpu driver just by watching 2 videos using hardware video decoding.
              Did you report that? Sounds easy enough to reproduce and a common enough use case for devs to want to pick up on that.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Did you report that? Sounds easy enough to reproduce and a common enough use case for devs to want to pick up on that.
                There already is a ticket for like half a year now. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/5359

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

Not sure if this firmware update will fix your problem but it definitely sounds like AMD is still working on getting VCN stable down at the firmware level: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...VCN-Multi-Hang

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

Not sure if this firmware update will fix your problem but it definitely sounds like AMD is still working on getting VCN stable down at the firmware level: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...VCN-Multi-Hang
                    Yeah that seems to have fixed it finally.

Comment

Working...
                    X