Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD ROCm 5.1.1 Released

Phoronix: AMD ROCm 5.1.1 Released

At the end of March ROCm 5.1 released with CRIU checkpoint/restore support, continued enabling more ROCm components like MIOpen with RDNA(2) GPU compatibility, and other changes. Meanwhile on Friday the ROCm 5.1.1 release was published...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've updated opencl-amd and opencl-amd-dev for Arch Linux to the latest versions.

I don't see any release notes and I'm still getting errors for HIP software and my RDNA1 GPU.
    • Hashcat HIP not working - Getting error:
      hipDeviceGetAttribute: Returned hipErrorInvalidValue : hipDeviceGetAttribute(): 1
    • Blender HIP not working - Getting error:
      terminated by signal SIGSEGV (Address boundary error)

Comment

Originally posted by LumielGR View Post
      I've updated opencl-amd and opencl-amd-dev for Arch Linux to the latest versions.

I don't see any release notes and I'm still getting errors for HIP software and my RDNA1 GPU.
      • Hashcat HIP not working - Getting error:
      • Blender HIP not working - Getting error:
      Are there upstream issues for those which one could follow?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        Are there upstream issues for those which one could follow?
        First of all because of the nature of the packages I maintain (they are just a bundle from the precompiled binaries for Ubuntu) I prefer getting or finding feedback from other people before opening any issues. With that in mind, for blender yes, there is a discussion about HIP and the build I'm testing at: https://devtalk.blender.org/t/cycles...back/21400/195 and the error is the same for people on Ubuntu.

For Hashcat, I don't see any issues about it but I know the developer uses Linux, and since it's open source I can (or someone else) try to find out what's wrong in the code, I just haven't had enough time to do it yet.

Other issues for me is AMF not working, even if I've manually built ffmpeg with latest AMF headers. I think it's also broken for other people since 2-3 versions back.

Pytorch and Tensorflow docker images are outdated, so I don't think there is a reason to try with latest ROCm. And my PC is not good enough at the moment to build these myself (I'm planning to upgrade soon). JuliaGPU is also using an older ROCm version and I'm not too experienced with the language / framework to make advanced testing. Seeing these applications so outdated I think there is a good reason that Ubuntu supports multiple rocm versions. I guess with a lot of extra effort I can support it too in my packages.

For Arch Linux, there is also https://github.com/rocm-arch/rocm-arch which in theory should work better for Arch Linux than my packages, but you have to build the packages yourself.

Comment

Hashcat, from a quick glance at the code, doesn't use the official HIP headers. They wrote their own instead, which includes a comment that they need to update their headers to stay compatible with future HIP versions, which hasn't happened yet. So it's quite possible that Hashcat simply doesn't work on ROCm 5.x. And yeah, the public Blender build doesn't seem to work for anybody. Not on 5.1, not on 5.1.1. It's kinda frustrating that neither bsavery nor Sayak commented on the issue yet, but they don't just work on Blender.

Comment

Originally posted by LumielGR View Post
            Other issues for me is AMF not working, even if I've manually built ffmpeg with latest AMF headers. I think it's also broken for other people since 2-3 versions back.
            Same for me, having to use 20.30, the latest ones throw an error when I try to us them.

Comment

No source code anymore ?
              EDIT : found
              Last edited by Soul_keeper; 07 May 2022, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
                AMD sure ruined opencl for linux.
                No source code anymore ?
                closed source distro specific install script nonsense ...
                What do you mean "no source code" ?

ROCm OpenOpenCL Runtime . Contribute to ROCm/ROCm-OpenCL-Runtime development by creating an account on GitHub.

We have always provided both source code and pre-built binaries with installer.
                Test signature

Comment

Ok thanks, I found it now.
                  I got confused because I was only finding documentation and links to distro specific scripts/packages.

It seems this works:

#!/bin/bash
                  curl https://storage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > /usr/bin/repo
                  chmod +x /usr/bin/repo
                  repo init -u https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm.git -b roc-5.1.x
                  repo sync

Sorry if I came off as insulting. I'm sure you and the team at AMD put in a lot of hours trying to make things good.
                  Last edited by Soul_keeper; 07 May 2022, 07:26 PM.

Comment

There was another website containing the scripts AMD uses to build the RPMs or DEBs for each subproject.
                    Any idea where that is ?

I will need to see what build options, dirs, etc. have changed since version 3.0 to create custom slackware build scripts for creating slackware packages.
                    In the past I used the rpm scripts as reference.

This must be it, but nolonger used ?
                    https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute...nstall_scripts

Why do we need 50 sub projects ? this has to be the most complicated project to install that exists ...
                    Pretty much impossible to use for most people. Absolutely guessing which cmake options to use and which order to install these things (and which things I can get away with not installing).
                    Last edited by Soul_keeper; 07 May 2022, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X