No announcement yet.

Microsoft Working On AMD GPU Hotplug Support For Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm running an AMD 5700XT eGPU here, I absolutely love it. Recently X.org is now allowing me to run triple screen, 2x 27" Dells on the AMDGPU and the laptop's Intel Integrated GPU and I get a seamless single desktop where I can move the windows between the screens. Including OpenGL Applications. Vulkan support is getting better and better with 1.3 now working. This is simply the best GPU I've ever had.

Comment

Three people haven't read the article before posting, speculating it's about datacenters... Yes.. it says so in the article...

Comment

somebody with a steam deck try radeon in external gpu config and file a bug report to give microsoft monkeys more work

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
          somebody with a steam deck try radeon in external gpu config and file a bug report to give microsoft monkeys more work
          This sounds like a rare configuration.

Comment

Sometimes my AMD dGPU fails to wake from sleep and locks the entire system with it, requiring power cycling.. and while it's quite rare, it's annoying when it happens.
            Hopefully this hot-plugging effort fixes that

Comment

And people continue to give shit to companies who try to contribute to OSS

Comment

I had my Radeon Pro VII in a Node Titan eGPU box, but eventually ditched it cuz there were just too many issues. The hotplug is huge though. The biggest issue I faced was the whole setup was laggy for some reason, like all the buffer writes were coming back across the Thunderbolt link or something, despite the monitor being plugged into the eGPU. All I can say is, the same hardware worked snappy under Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid State Brain View Post
                  Coincidentally, a few days ago I tried a setup on my desktop system where the OS (openSUSE Tumbleweed) would normally operate on the iGPU (Intel UHD Graphics 770) while 3D applications or games would be offloaded on the dGPU (Radeon RX480) by starting native applications with DRI_PRIME=1 flag, or automatically with Steam/Proton games. However, it was also possible to use dGPU for PCIe passthrough in virtual machines (by virtually "unplugging" it from the host). When the VM is done with the dGPU and the host regains control of it, that would be where GPU hotplugging comes into play.

Unfortunately this is an area where the AMDGPU driver is still lacking and segmentation faults are likely to occur, which is what I was observing and prevented to properly use the dGPU for both 3D offloading and GPU passthrough (not at the same time of course). If this patch solves the problems I was having, that would be great!
                  Hey - you can always share ur findings in a ticket we have for this - https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1081 mostly dmesg log. Also note that the app running on dGPU in offload mode is epxcted to crash once device is gone and you have to restart it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post
                    Sometimes my AMD dGPU fails to wake from sleep and locks the entire system with it, requiring power cycling.. and while it's quite rare, it's annoying when it happens.
                    Hopefully this hot-plugging effort fixes that
                    I haven't had many hangs lately, but mine has a weird issue where sometimes the GPU thinks I have two displays connected instead of a single one. Restarting the monitor fixes it.

Comment

Working...
                    X