Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Looking To Improve The GPU Reset Experience Under Linux

Phoronix: AMD Looking To Improve The GPU Reset Experience Under Linux

AMD's Radeon Linux graphics driver developers are looking at enhancing the GPU reset experience so more information about the troublesome event can be communicated up the stack for better informing the user and/or taking greater action to ensure the desktop gets successfully restored...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From reading the OpenBSD subreddit over on Reddit AMDGPU resets are pretty common on the ported driver in OpenBSD land, Intel graphics still reign supreme. This would be helpful for OpenBSD but that OS doesn't have sysfs or procfs.

Comment

Been dealing with this lately. My MSI RX 480 8GB recently started crashing with a black screen under heavy load but would work fine for less demanding games.

After much debugging, it seems the thermal paste has dried after ~5 years and I had to cap the power limit to 110W (from 180W) and now it works, but has crippled the card for heavy loads.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        Been dealing with this lately. My MSI RX 480 8GB recently started crashing with a black screen under heavy load but would work fine for less demanding games.

After much debugging, it seems the thermal paste has dried after ~5 years and I had to cap the power limit to 110W (from 180W) and now it works, but has crippled the card for heavy loads.
        sad to hear. I guess increasing fanspeed to lower temprs does not help the card to be used on high load ?

Comment

time to repaste and might as well swap thermal pads too while you are at it.

Comment

Do like the image in the article.. shows the most appropriate usecase for an AMDGPU.

Comment

Great news

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

sad to hear. I guess increasing fanspeed to lower temprs does not help the card to be used on high load ?
                Yeah even fans all the way ramped up couldn't compete. Would still black screen right away. Luckily I got my main desktop with the 6700XT/5700X so I guess I upgraded at the perfect time..

Originally posted by middy View Post
                time to repaste and might as well swap thermal pads too while you are at it.
                I've been holding off but this is ultimately the solution from what I've been reading. Been hesitant to take apart the GPU since everything else works fine currently. Hopefully soon.

Comment

Finally! I have Mesa/kernel upgrade trauma...

Comment

Shouldn't the card throttle if it becomes too hot?
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X