Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated AMD APU Firmware Helps Systems Stuck On High Memory Clocks, Wasting Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by themightyug View Post
    Will this affect the Steam Deck?
    No it is primarely for Raven APU's.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      I bought an Athlon 5370 APU for $60 way back in June 2016 and it's still the reliable beating heart of my home theater system. They were the last in the Kabini line, and were only available for a year or so, so I'm really glad I snagged one.

I'd be happy to upgrade to a more modern APU though, but only if it improved the ability to natively play Blu-rays. There are some workarounds, like MakeMKV libraries, that work most of the time on my current system, but if a newer AMD APU could finally enable all the ridiculous DRM stuff to work reliably I'd definitely invest in it. But it seems like even Intel is deprecating some Blu-ray support now, so my quest may be a lost cause.
      Got an 200GE in my HTPC and I am still happy with that old APU. I use it so I for Youtube, PrimeVideo and Netflix as my Panasonic Smart TV is from 2012 the apps supplied don't work anymore as they Panasonic hasn't bothered to update them. As a side effect I can reply in Phoronix forums from my couch

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
        The problem is called "old system BIOS"! There are still far too many people who think BIOS updates were just made for the fun of it.

In addition to issues like this, they also fix security holes!
        There are far too many companies that think that it is a good idea to bury UEFI files in Windows executables. They should support fwupd instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Fox View Post

See this for why Pluton is not really a risk for the foreseeable future, especially if you don't run Windows: https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/58125.html
          Does not matter. I am voting with my wallet against any collaboration of hardware vendors with Microsoft on hardware "security" features. I already bought a highly future proof desktop for the same reason, I will aspire to keep it for 10+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
            I bought an Athlon 5370 APU for $60 way back in June 2016 and it's still the reliable beating heart of my home theater system. They were the last in the Kabini line, and were only available for a year or so, so I'm really glad I snagged one.

I'd be happy to upgrade to a more modern APU though, but only if it improved the ability to natively play Blu-rays. There are some workarounds, like MakeMKV libraries, that work most of the time on my current system, but if a newer AMD APU could finally enable all the ridiculous DRM stuff to work reliably I'd definitely invest in it. But it seems like even Intel is deprecating some Blu-ray support now, so my quest may be a lost cause.
            Lucky you, these 5370s were rare. I got an 5350 and can't complain, though.
            On the BluRay problem: This is a generic problem of BluRays and their digital restriction management. You generally have to resort to means like makemkv to watch under linux. iirc. there once has been one single program that was officially sold (in Japan??) that enabled direct BluRay playing. Also on W32 you need certain tools to play it, simply VLC won't do it. So your APU is likely not the faulty part since it just accelerates the video stream afterwards. And Kabinis do have x264 support.
            Please blame the content mafia.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

On topic: Hmm, nothing about Renoir and later chips... maybe not affected?

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                On topic: Hmm, nothing about Renoir and later chips... maybe not affected?
                Only raven on systems with early sbioses.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
                  In addition to issues like this, they also fix security holes!
                  And add a bunch of new. Both holes and issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex/AT View Post
                    And add a bunch of new.
                    So, where is your great number of examples where BIOS updates allegedly brought new security holes? And how do you intend to fix security holes in old BIOS versions, if not by a BIOS update? Ignoring the problem is surely NOT the way to solve a problem.
                    Last edited by Go_Vulkan; 05 March 2022, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Only raven on systems with early sbioses.
                      Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X