X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boboviz
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark625 View Post
    So OpenCL is basically a dead technology now. Nvidia is still putting all new features into CUDA and leaving OpenCL at 3.0 (aka 1.2). AMD is focusing on ROCm runtime and multiple tools that make it easier to port CUDA code sets to the AMD stack. I expect that OpenCL runtime support will continue for a long time, but the language itself will not advance in any meaningful way going forward.
    I think the way OpenCl will survive is C++ for OpenCl.
    Why?
    Because it seems that there is a great interesting for C++ in heterogeneous computation and there is a lot of signs, like SYCL, CUDA C++, AMD Hip, etc
    Seems that all gpu (and not only gpu) languages will be differen "dialects" of C++

Maybe i'm wrong

Leave a comment:

• boboviz
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post
    ROCm on consumer GPUs beyond GFX9 (Vega) seems to be a WIP, that is not a great signal to consumers. I know they are prioritizing their server parts and GFX9 is the technical base there, but still. Consumer care about the support of their GPUs on day one (or when they can get their hands on one of these nowadays) - and not two years after release.
    I agree, but....how many consumers make gpgpu stuff on their home gpu?

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    Originally posted by Grinness View Post

Not sure what you want to do.
    I run latest kernel and mesa (arch) and I have ROCM + pytorch, torchvision, torchtext, torchaudio (with ROCM support) running fine.
    Mesa is for 3d applications, ROCM general purpose compute on GPU
    I guess your question should have in scope only AMDGPU-PRO and MESA in parallel, not ROCM
    This answers my question, thx! :-)

Leave a comment:

• piorunz
    replied
    Originally posted by Maxzor View Post

Must have been referring to the homemade AMD archive: https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/5.0...r/rocm-opencl/
    Thanks, if there any instructions how to install it on Debian Testing? I tried a few .debs and dependencies escalated quickly to a package which is not present in AMD repository, nor in my system.

Leave a comment:

• Grinness
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    Can the AMD mesa driver run in parallel to AMDGPU-PRO when I want to use ROCm for i. e. PyTorch?
    Not sure what you want to do.
    I run latest kernel and mesa (arch) and I have ROCM + pytorch, torchvision, torchtext, torchaudio (with ROCM support) running fine.
    Mesa is for 3d applications, ROCM general purpose compute on GPU
    I guess your question should have in scope only AMDGPU-PRO and MESA in parallel, not ROCM

Leave a comment:

• Maxzor
    replied
    Originally posted by piorunz View Post

Uhm, what?

"You have searched for packages that names contain rocm-opencl in all suites, all sections, and all architectures.
    Sorry, your search gave no results"
    Must have been referring to the homemade AMD archive: https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/5.0...r/rocm-opencl/

Leave a comment:

• piorunz
    replied
    Originally posted by ernstp View Post

Yeah, should work!? Just do
    Code:
    sudo apt install rocm-opencl
    only, and "upstream kernel" of course.
    Uhm, what?

"You have searched for packages that names contain rocm-opencl in all suites, all sections, and all architectures.
    Sorry, your search gave no results"

Leave a comment:

• SvenK
    replied
    It would be nice if we could manage it to port rendering from opencl/CUDA/HIP to vulkan/opengl compute shaders, than at least some parts are where they should be.

Leave a comment:

• Maxzor
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    Can the AMD mesa driver run in parallel to AMDGPU-PRO when I want to use ROCm for i. e. PyTorch?
    I would enjoy finding a good explanation about how the two stacks get along. AFAIK they don't interact.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X