Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No xvideo and very slow 3D under Debian

For Debian users:

After recently upgrading my xorg libraries to the ones in "unstable" (on a mostly "testing" system), I lost both xvideo and 3D support. That is, xvinfo shows the message "no adaptors present", while playing a simple 3D game such as ppracer shows abysmal frame rates of 3FPS. What did I do wrong? Is there some new library dependency that needs to be installed?

Some info about my system: linux 2.6.29-1-amd64, xserver-xorg-video-radeon 6.12.2-1, libdrm2 2.4.9-1, and lib*-mesa-* 7.4-2.

The actual use of the radeon driver is confirmed via grep /var/log/Xorg.0.log, that shows among other things:

(II) LoadModule: "radeon"

Perhaps the most puzzling aspect of my problem is the disappearance of xvideo support. If ever, this is the first time (counting back from the days of XFree86) that I have an X Window setup where the xvideo extension fails to work when using the *correct* free driver (both nv and radeon). So this may be a clue to what is wrong with my system.

which GPU do you have ?
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      which GPU do you have ?
      Sorry, I thought it was obvious (it's my user name): I'm using the on-board video of my AMD690 [correction: not AMD780G] motherboard, an ATI Technologies Inc RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series]. Hardware accelerated 2D and 3D were working when I (temporarily) had some Ubuntu (!) mesa packages installed (I think it was version 7.2). XV was working (but not hardware 3D) using the previous default Debian mesa libs (7.0)
      Last edited by 0x791e; 26 April 2009, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Sounds like drm isn't initializing properly. There should be messages at the end of your dmesg output as well as in the x log.
        Test signature

Comment

Do you have the "firmware-linux" package installed? Debian moves the radeon microcode blobs there so you 'll need it for 3D accel.

Comment

Thanks, bridgman and xaros.

The solution is installing the "firmware-linux" package. Before I installed it (and rebooted), I took a look at my dmesg output and saw a note about firmware not being loaded.

It appears, as xaros noted, that Debian post-Lenny put the firmware blobs in a separate package.

Video and 3D appears to be smoother than when I was running the X libraries available for Lenny (although I still have trouble playing glest RTS).

Comment

Working...
            X