Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Older AMD Systems Can Boot Faster On Linux 5.17+

Phoronix: Some Older AMD Systems Can Boot Faster On Linux 5.17+

A change merged overnight with the libata subsystem updates for Linux 5.17 means that some older AMD hardware will be able to boot quicker by avoiding an otherwise mandated sleep period...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

@Michael:
    > 20mms 200ms SStatus
    seams like typos

Comment

Eh, I'd like to wait for DSP support from AMD Kaveri and True Audio.

Comment

Oh, my. My Ryzen 5600 with 5700XT Media PC, directly link to my flat screen in the living, with a 3 meter HDMI from the cellar. Can boot the Arch Linux setup in 8 seconds flat to a ready to use 'Kodi' frontend. Yes, not older AMD, but I'm amazed how fast booting has become.

Even more completely off-topic, if I've friends over. They are really surprised about the setup. Local and streaming video and music, browser and (emulator) games all seamless integrated in 'Kodi'. With every controller imaginable, from DS4, Wiimote, Sinden lightgun to G29 Racing wheel plug and play. 44 consoles and computer emulated, Windows and native games. Without ever leaving Kodi. Took some scripting and a programmable desktop like 'Openbox' and customizable 'Kodi' theme like 'Estuary Mod V2 Matrix'. But it blows every smart TV out of the water. Open source has come far since my 'Myth TV' days where I spend days to get a half usable thing which stopped running with every Gentoo update and I was jealous looking at Windows Media.
        Last edited by markus40; 18 January 2022, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Comment

That's nice and all, but I'm still waiting for the 5.16 update which will also improve my AMD system. Void may be a rolling release, but when it comes to the kernel, it doesn't seem to be so “rolling”.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              That's nice and all, but I'm still waiting for the 5.16 update which will also improve my AMD system. Void may be a rolling release, but when it comes to the kernel, it doesn't seem to be so “rolling”.
              It's just a slow roll.

Comment

Interesting. This board appears to be one that coreboot supports, or did at some point in the past. That would explain why some people using it might be sensitive to long boot times.

All the same, being an AMD board it's another one perpetually on the chopping block because AMD dumped a bunch of code in coreboot's lap and there's no sponsored developer manpower to continually update it to match the requirements handed down by google etc.

Comment

Working...
                X