Radeon RADV Optimizations In Mesa 22.0 Improve PRIME/Hybrid GPU Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon RADV Optimizations In Mesa 22.0 Improve PRIME/Hybrid GPU Performance

Phoronix: Radeon RADV Optimizations In Mesa 22.0 Improve PRIME/Hybrid GPU Performance

While RADV is not AMD's official Radeon Vulkan driver for Linux systems, for Mesa 22.0 they have contributed a set of optimizations to improve the "DRI_PRIME" performance for hybrid GPU setups such as the growing number of AMD powered notebooks with discrete graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That sounds great.

The optimizations work for GFX9/Vega and newer.
    Crap.

I have a GFX8/Polaris dGPU and a GFX9/Vega iGPU. I don't think I apply here. I'd love to use my iGPU more and leverage the dGPU when necessary to save power and extend the life of my dGPU.

Comment

This is the first time I see an AMD dev makes his own contribution specifically to RADV.

Comment

Drool! I know that 5.15 fixed a timing issue, so now when rendering across GPU's you don't get serious stutter if you manage to put your gpu under full load anymore.
        And a mere 10% speedup is quite noticeable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          That sounds great.

Crap.

I have a GFX8/Polaris dGPU and a GFX9/Vega iGPU. I don't think I apply here. I'd love to use my iGPU more and leverage the dGPU when necessary to save power and extend the life of my dGPU.
          Actually, I am like "Finally", considering Vega didn't get as much love as Polaris...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Actually, I am like "Finally", considering Vega didn't get as much love as Polaris...
            You must have a Vega or better dGPU .

Or I'm reading all this wrong and the Vega requirement is for the iGPU, not the dGPU???

Comment

That sounds great.

Crap.

The SDMA code just needs to be ported from radeonsi to radv to enable SDMA on older asics.
              Last edited by agd5f; 11 January 2022, 04:39 PM.

Comment

You must have a Vega
                Exactly.
                Over the years this is what I heard about Vega improvements vs. Polaris:
                - 2017: 90% Polaris, 10% Vega
                - 2018: 85% Polaris, 15% Vega
                - 2019: 75% Polaris, 25% Vega
                - 2020: 65% Polaris, 35% Vega
                - 2021: ???

Comment

good. anything that will make external GPUs more viable. I know it niche, but I find the use case of having a moderatly powerful laptop becoming a competent gaming PC with a cord and a box (albiet a pricey box) incredibly enticing.

Comment

Working...
                  X