Linux 5.16 Graphics Performance In Great Shape For AMD Ryzen APUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reba View Post
    My 16 x AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics is looking forward to this. Sorry. Really, I love this thing.
    I have the same CPU for about a month now. But I'm still wondering what Radeon model is in here. Is there any way to figure that out? inxi -G doesn't show a specific model (it did show on my previous PC with Intel APU).

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      You have some identical to the specific ones he benchmarked?
      A Lenovo Ideapad Flex based on a 4500U, and a Lenovo Ideapad based on a 5700U (both having run, or running, Ubuntu 20.04) - considering how many models Lenovo have of these (read : one or two), I'd say : close enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I have the same CPU for about a month now. But I'm still wondering what Radeon model is in here. Is there any way to figure that out? inxi -G doesn't show a specific model (it did show on my previous PC with Intel APU).
        It's a Vega 8.

You can use lspci for this somewhat abstract info:

Code:
        $ lspci -v | less

05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cezanne (rev c4) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Lenovo Cezanne
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 52, IOMMU group 6
        Memory at c10000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Memory at c20000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=2M]
        I/O ports at 1000 [size=256]
        Memory at fd400000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
        Kernel modules: amdgpu
        Or just ask someone who knows better than me.

Edit: Wikipedia has some additional technical stuff in case you're interested.
        Last edited by reba; 10 January 2022, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch074 View Post
          A Lenovo Ideapad Flex based on a 4500U, and a Lenovo Ideapad based on a 5700U (both having run, or running, Ubuntu 20.04) - considering how many models Lenovo have of these (read : one or two), I'd say : close enough?
          And dmidecode shows they both have 2 memory channels? Do we know that's how Michael has them configured (i.e. with the 2nd DIMM slot occupied)?

Comment

Any test with something that actually requires some grunt? Like Tombraider/ Metro Exodus ect . Even a Superposition bench would be helpful .

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              And dmidecode shows they both have 2 memory channels? Do we know that's how Michael has them configured (i.e. with the 2nd DIMM slot occupied)?
              On my side? Yes. On Michael's? I hope so. I can't really run a Linux benchmark on the 4500U anymore (it's back under Windows, I gave it to my wife). But, I can bench the 5700U. My setup: Ubuntu 20.04.3 with latest stable Mesa and kernel 5.13, 5700U with 16 Gb of DDR4, of which 2 Gb are allocated to the GPU. DE is XFCE (Gnome3 causes slowdowns).
              Heaven 4.0, custom settings - fullscreen 1080p, High quality, tessellation normal, antialiasing off : Min/Avg/Max fps 8.8/26.1/58.2.
              And for Superposition 1.1, preset 1080p medium : 9.66/16.59/20.78.
              That's more or less what my Radeon R9 270X 2Gb used to give me (under Windows 7 with DirectX; that card is dead, I'd sure like to know how it would perform now on Linux).

Comment

Working...
              X