Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.16 Graphics Performance In Great Shape For AMD Ryzen APUs

Phoronix: Linux 5.16 Graphics Performance In Great Shape For AMD Ryzen APUs

Back on Christmas Eve I noted how the Linux 5.16 performance was looking real good for AMD APUs as a performance improvement not widely noted to that point with significant uplift over Linux 5.15 stable. The good news is Linux 5.16 is set to debut as stable today and the benchmark results with AMD APU graphics is looking very promising after carrying out tests on additional available systems.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Holy crap, that's impressive. What in the world would cause that kind of performance improvements?? The older APUs are still using the same physical GPU hardware, so it has to be something with communication between the CPU and GPU on the 5xxx series I'd think? Can't wait to see the Steam Deck in a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post
      The older APUs are still using the same physical GPU hardware, so it has to be something with communication between the CPU and GPU on the 5xxx series I'd think?
      Maybe those older laptops & Lenovo IdeaPad 5500U are using single-channel memory? If so, it could be that they're too bottlenecked on memory for the optimizations to show much improvement.

Comment

My 16 x AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics is looking forward to this. Sorry. Really, I love this thing.

Comment

any changes in power consumption?

Comment

Really nice job this article.

I can see that the asus rog 5900hx with amd graphics is 2000bucks after searching and searching over 4 pages (all the rest had nvidia graphics)
            vs 562bucks for a 5500u lenovo with amd graphics.

Yet at almost 4 times the price i am not getting 4 times the fps.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
              Really nice job this article.

I can see that the asus rog 5900hx with amd graphics is 2000bucks after searching and searching over 4 pages (all the rest had nvidia graphics)
              vs 562bucks for a 5500u lenovo with amd graphics.

Yet at almost 4 times the price i am not getting 4 times the fps.
              Actually had gotten the 5900HX on sale for like ~$1200 though ithink the retail tends to be more like $1500. There is also the dGPU with that laptop albeit unused for these tests.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Nice article and nice improvements!

Has anybody tried to benchmark different desktop environments on AMD APUs ?
                I've experienced the situation that on a Ryzen 7 5700G, running The Witcher 3 game on GNOME3 + wine + dxvk got significantly more FPS that the same game on KDE + wine + dxvk. All this on Ubuntu 21.10.

Comment

Not for everyone... https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1455 - for many it is terrible

Comment

Originally posted by make_adobe_on_Linux! View Post
                    Not for everyone... https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1455 - for many it is terrible
                    That sounds a bit exaggerated.

Comment

Working...
                    X