It's 2022 But AMD's Open-Source OpenGL Driver Isn't Done Being Optimized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's 2022 But AMD's Open-Source OpenGL Driver Isn't Done Being Optimized

Phoronix: It's 2022 But AMD's Open-Source OpenGL Driver Isn't Done Being Optimized

After the many years now that AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D driver has been seeing relentless optimizations for GCN and now RDNA GPUs paired with the fact more Linux games targeting Vulkan (or going through Direct3D to Vulkan), one might think in 2022 that the OpenGL driver optimization efforts would let up... But that doesn't appear to be the case with well known AMD RadeonSI developer Marek Olšák pursuing yet more optimizations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just hope that when he's done with the remaining driver optimizations, he will start working on ACO support.
    Last edited by user1; 05 January 2022, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Would be nice if they could fix the vega pro 20 bug that causes constant hard crashes, which has now existed for 2 years

Comment

I've often wondered how much of the performance advantage Nvidia traditionally held was due to better software optimizations. Maybe we'll yet find out...

Comment

I don't think being 2022 and new games targeting Vulkan is enough to quit optimizing OpenGL. Planned obsolescence is not a good practice, so I should be able to play (at least with degraded quality) some games in older cards. I should be able to play my older games as well, if there's something that doesn't get "old" is content. It could be a good idea, tho, to pay for easier development on newer cards in some proportional performance losses if layering OpenGL over Vulkan is worth it. But older pre-Vulkan cards can't appeal to that.
          Anyway, my most sincere thank you, Marek.

Comment

I hope this means that at some point soon we can see unification of the driver code bases on Linux. In other words, the closed source AMD driver can be retired once and for all and workstation users would eventually see their default driver being the OSS.

Comment

What's the status of OpenGL anyway? Is it still being used besides in legacy apps?

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                Would be nice if they could fix the vega pro 20 bug that causes constant hard crashes, which has now existed for 2 years
                I'd love to know how many people actually use a Vega Pro 20, let alone for gaming.

Serious question, why don't you sell that card and buy a real gaming card so you don't have to deal with these issues? Vega was a stop-gap. Nothing more, nothing less. Especially a Vega Pro 20. I wouldn't expect to get any support for that. Not saying it's right, just saying realistically.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                  I'd love to know how many people actually use a Vega Pro 20, let alone for gaming.

Serious question, why don't you sell that card and buy a real gaming card so you don't have to deal with these issues? Vega was a stop-gap. Nothing more, nothing less. Especially a Vega Pro 20. I wouldn't expect to get any support for that. Not saying it's right, just saying realistically.
                  That question why he didn't brought other card, is sh*t talk..
                  He brought that card, and he is entitled to have support like any other device, no question here!

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    What's the status of OpenGL anyway? Is it still being used besides in legacy apps?
                    Yes.

Lots of indie games ( new ones ) that supports Linux are using GL, in some cases ( but rare ) newer Windows only games are also on OpenGL such as Teardown last year, Digimon Cyber Sleuth before that , console emulators are also heavily relying on OpenGL in addition to having other backends as well such as Vulkan and as a rarity D3D backends.

Comment

Working...
                    X