Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa's RADV Vulkan Driver Holds A Narrowing Lead Over AMDVLK With Ubuntu 21.10 On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Ive only really ever used radv, too much effort to switch

Leave a comment:

• user1
    replied
    It would be interesting to revisit RADV vs AMDVLK performance on Polaris, because last time I did some tests myself (before AMDVLK broke all my games with its switchable layer), the performance of AMDVLK was abysmal.
    Speaking of Polaris, async compute is apparently broken on all PAL based drivers, along with some crucial Vulkan extensions broken as well (that was finally fixed after 3 and a half months).
    Seems like AMD doesn't do enough QA for its PAL drivers on Polaris, which is still the most popular AMD architecture, at least according to Steam.
    Last edited by user1; 30 December 2021, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wallcarpet40
    replied
    Was NGG enabled, when testing Dirt Rally 2.0 in Mesa 22.0-devel and does AMDVLK support it? The difference between Mesa and AMDVLK is HUGE!

Leave a comment:

• Seebi
    replied
    Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

I've unscientifically timed it with shader pre-warming screens of some vulkan/d3d12 games and fossilize archive replays and open AMDVLK is still on average 10 times slower than RADV or the proprietary driver.
    Wow, that’s a large difference. Do you remember the games you tested? I’d be interested in testing as well.
    Also, when did you run these tests? I remember some improvements during the last months. LLVM still doesn’t reach the speeds of ACO, but the gap is smaller than before.
    A difference if 10x is most likely not caused by actual compilation speed, but due to shader caching (https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/llpc/pull/1283 fixed a bug there, it was probably part of a release in October).

Leave a comment:

• Masush5
    replied
    Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
    It is not entirely correct to compare the unreleased driver (22.0) and the released AMDVLK 21/4/3. It was necessary to show the work Mesa 21.3.3
    AMDVLK does a release on every git code drop, so the latest version is pretty much latest -git.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    It is not entirely correct to compare the unreleased driver (22.0) and the released AMDVLK 21/4/3. It was necessary to show the work Mesa 21.3.3
    The difference would be modest on this hardware, IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• Masush5
    replied
    Michael Is there any way you can test the shader compilation time in each driver? It would be very interesting to see the progress of LLVM in AMDVLK compared to proprietary Pro and ACO.
    I've unscientifically timed it with shader pre-warming screens of some vulkan/d3d12 games and fossilize archive replays and open AMDVLK is still on average 10 times slower than RADV or the proprietary driver.

Leave a comment:

• mphuZ
    replied
    Michael Is there any way you can test the shader compilation time in each driver? It would be very interesting to see the progress of LLVM in AMDVLK compared to proprietary Pro and ACO.

Leave a comment:

• mphuZ
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Xicronic
    replied
    Shader compile times are light-years apart though, RADV is so much smoother on Proton when you encounter uncached shaders.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X