AMD Pushes Out New R600/700 3D Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssmaxss View Post
    Why do you want to use radeonhd? Use radeon if it doesn't have this problem. Radeonhd should die after adding audio over hdmi support to radeon imho.
    I was not aware of that. I thought the other way around ... Thank You for solving my dilemma ...

update: Today's upgrade to radeonhd-rewrite solved it ...!
    update: But only in 2.6.30. In 2.6.28-12 (with added module radeon) the problem persists ...)
    Last edited by zika; 25 May 2009, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Why do you want to use radeonhd? Use radeon if it doesn't have this problem. Radeonhd should die after adding audio over hdmi support to radeon imho.
      Actually they might end up both dying and getting replaced by a lean and mean driver that taps into Gallium and KMS+memory manager for about everything.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        If you pastebin an X log we can take a look. First thing to check is Option "DRI" in the Device section; radeonhd needs that while radeon does not.
        I have DRI option. Xorg.0.log is to big to put it here ...

Comment

Xorg.0.log is to big to put it here ...
          you should use site like pastebin, and post here only link.

Comment

you should use site like pastebin, and post here only link.
            Good to know, thanks.

Comment

Latest git is looking better already, I presume it's the effect of the clear code and not the rectangle that I'm seeing here. Still only works with radeonhd and Accelmethod None though.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                Latest git is looking better already, I presume it's the effect of the clear code and not the rectangle that I'm seeing here. Still only works with radeonhd and Accelmethod None though.

Try running it twice in a row? For me the rectangle only appears on the second run. (Since your run is quite different from what I got, would be interesting to see what the second run looks like for you)

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  Actually they might end up both dying and getting replaced by a lean and mean driver that taps into Gallium and KMS+memory manager for about everything.
                  So I'm not the only one confused about why work on these is being pushed instead of work on Gallium3D drivers. If you have no 3D support, and have to start from scratch, why would you start working on something which will soon need to be replaced?

Shouldn't 2D and 3D accel be something in progress for future (hopefully not too long) Gallium3D support?

Comment

Because there is a lot of enterprise/LTS distros that won't use that gallium3d thing till it tested to death, but they want 3d support for r6xx/r7xx which will be provided old classic mesa way.

Comment

Also the enterprise distro users won't be switched over to KMS/GEM/TTM/DRI2 for 12-18 months and we need a solution for them. Gallium3D needs DRI2 and memory management today. It could be modified to offer subset functionality without them but nobody thinks that's a good idea.

The questions are basically "which is less wasted effort, and which gives us a cleaner solution for the future". The answers to both of those questions seem to argue in favor of doing a 6xx-7xx classic mesa implementation for users running without GEM/TTM and not putting any extra baggage into Gallium3D.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 08 June 2009, 11:38 AM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X